Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Disciple

Post What are your Favorite Porter's in Beer

I love a good Porter and lately I have been trying everyone I can get my Hands on. Here are Some of them By Brewer and Name of Porter

1. Yards --General Washington's Tavern Porter
    2. Tommy Knocker Cocoa Porter
    3. Fullers London Porter
    4. Anchor Porter
    5. Segmaier Porter
    6. Yuengling Porter

I am waiting to get my hands on some Narragansett Porter verysoon to try it

The First 3 are my very Favorites and I am always looking for a new on.
    When I was a Kid I was told that Poter was medicine for your Health and I will never forget the first Poter I ever drank which was Kaiers Special Porter Made in Mohanoy City Pa the coal reagions.
    Dave Z
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Beer Its Not Just A Beverage Beer Is Food

Disciple

Re: What are your Favorite Porter's in Beer

They are all local, but . . .

1) Coal Porter, Bar Harbor Brewing
    2) Black Bear Porter, Sunday River Brewing Co.
    3) Midnight Porter, Sebago Brewing (I also had a whiskey cask conditioned version of this that kicked ass).

Oh, and, of course, Taddy Porter by Samuel Smith -- that stuff is second to none.

I like my porters rich and sweet rather than acidic & smoky . . . although some roasted coffee flavor is definitely required.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Guru

Red face Re: What are your Favorite Porter's in Beer

The only labeled porter I've had was Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter. Michael Jackson has proclaimed it to be the world's best commercially produced beer. I suppose it was ok, but not exactly my cup of tea.

Actually, I did think of some other porter I've had - it was in a Sam Adams holiday assortment for Christmas, 2007.

Finally, as all "stout" is also porter, I have had a few others labeled as stout. I had an infatuation with Guinness when I was a college upper classman, but looking back, I think that was just snobbery.

I really don't care much for porter. I am much more into lagers, pilsners, and pale ales.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    The only labeled porter I've had was Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter. Michael Jackson has proclaimed it to be the world's best commercially produced beer.
    Are you sure about that quote and/or the beer in question? (Or maybe which "Michael Jackson"? ). Doesn't sound like something he'd say about any one beer.

Jackson rated SS Taddy Porter 3 1/2 stars (out of 5) in his first Pocket Guide and, in later editions, it was rated as 3 (out of 4) = "Worth Seeking Out". He also often mentioned that, while called "Porter" for the US market, the beer was known as "Samuel Smith's Nourishing Strong Stout" in the UK (a name that wouldn't get by the TTB in the US) and said about the difference in terminology "it is arguably dry enough, but surely too full-bodied for that designation".

Perhaps you're thinking of his "endorsement" of Sri Lanka's Lion Stout (right down to his photo on the six-pack cardboard)? Tho' even that beer he only rated 3 stars in most of his Pocket Guides and, in an article archived on his website, called it "pretty good".

Guru

Post Re: What are your Favorite Porter's in Beer

I am 100% sure that I read it, but unfortunately I cannot recall where I read it. I was also very surprised when I read it because I read it after having drank the beer and, as you can probably tell from my first post, I wasn't overwhelmed by it.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I am 100% sure that I read it, but unfortunately I cannot recall where I read it. I was also very surprised when I read it because I read it after having drank the beer and, as you can probably tell from my first post, I wasn't overwhelmed by it.

Tim
    Yeah, I only asked because I've read similar quotes attributed to MJ about Samuel Smith's Porter (like this one - “One of the world’s five best beers.”—Michael Jackson) and I've always wondered exactly where and when he said that- considering that his World Guide doesn't mention Samuel Smith's at all (at least that I can see by a quick review of the indexes of two editions), and several of his other books (Companion, Ultimate Beer, Beer) that do mention the SSTP aren't quite as complimentary as calling it "one of the world's best", etc.

Just always seemed strange to me for him to be calling a beer he'd rated at 3 1/2 stars as "best" - if that's the case, then what the heck were those handful of beers he'd rated as ***** back in 1982?

Disciple

Here are 3 different porters from different countries that I like a lot.
    Närkes stormaktsporter (Swedish)
    Ölfabrikkens porter (Danish)
    Gonzo (American)

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Enthusiast

My 3 favorite porters

Black Butte Porter from Deschutes (Bend, Oregon)
    http://tinyurl.com/62mkwh

Anchor Porter from Anchor (San Francisco, California)
    http://tinyurl.com/2nkhv4

Bully! Porter from Boulevard (Kansas City, Missouri)
    http://tinyurl.com/c8owho
    Here's to us, who's like us?
    Damned few and they're all dead

Guru

Of non-stout porters probably my favorite is Arcadia's (of Battle Creek, MI) London Porter, with Winston Churchill on the label. Best porter I've ever had. Bell's porter and Anchor Porter are distant seconds.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

Among those I've had I really enjoy:

Cole Porter (Cask beer from Magnolia Pub in San Francisco)
    Rogue Mocha Porter
    Deschuttes Black Butte Porter
    Anchor Porter
    Bridgeport Porter (though, their Blackstrap Stout is my favorite thing they brew)
    Stone Smoked Porter

I've yet to try any porters from outside the U.S. (I might have had Fuller's at some point, but don't remember). It looks like there are some in Michigan and New York worth hunting down as well...