Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Greetings from Columbus

Hello! I have been lurking for a month or two, and I finally decided to write my first post! I am a 28 yr old accountant in Columbus, Ohio. I really got into bourbon about 3-4 years ago when my in-laws moved to Louisville. Whenever we go down to visit, we always end up visiting a few distilleries. Initially, it was just something to do on our trips, but learning so much about bourbon from these visits has really fostered my initial curiosity into a full-fledged hobby! I probably now have way too many bottles, but my wife is an enabler (and also a bourbon enthusiast), so its hard to resist the temptation!!
    In my short time reading these forums, I have already developed a great appreciation for the wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm that is available here for this passion of mine. I look forward to posting more frequently, and hopefully perhaps even share a drink or two with some of you one day!

Matthew
    Last edited by paris1129; 03-16-2010 at 20:08.

Trippah and Admin

Re: Greetings from Columbus

Welcome to my Buckeye State brethren.

In your Kentucky in-laws, you have one of two things needed for a bourbonista to survive in Ahia (a connection in bourbonland).

The other would be a residence in the Cinci area with easy access across the river.

The other NEO SB'ers know what I'm talking about.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    Welcome to my Buckeye State brethren.

In your Kentucky in-laws, you have one of two things needed for a bourbonista to survive in Ahia (a connection in bourbonland).

The other would be a residence in the Cinci area with easy access across the river.

The other NEO SB'ers know what I'm talking about.
    As far as in-laws go, they are pretty great folks! They often bring up a bottle or two upon request when they come to visit, so I can't complain!

By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong.

Trippah and Admin

So what are some of the brands and bottlings that you have taken a shine to?
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    So what are some of the brands and bottlings that you have taken a shine to?
    I bought a bottle of Parker's Golden Anniversary to celebrate my best friend taking the bar exam as well as my finishing the CPA Exam. Well, he took the bar, I still have one part of the CPA exam left, but we cracked it open anyway! This was one fantastic bourbon!

I have also been on a Blanton's kick recently. I am also a huge fan of the Woodford Reserve Seasoned Oak finish. Elijah Craig 18 yr is also one of my favorites. Right now as I type (I'm supposed to be studying for my exam, not posting here!), I am enjoying some Old Rip Van Winkle 10 yr / 107 proof. I have several other bottles, but these are the ones I keep coming back to!

By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong.

Irreverent One

(Okay, I promised Joe I'd make more of an effort to be gentle on the newbies. Here goes)

Quote Originally Posted by paris1129 View Post
    Hello!
    Hi Matthew!

I have been lurking for a month or two, and I finally decided to write my first post!
    That's great!

these visits has really fostered my initial curiosity into a full-fledged hobby!
    Definitely better than stamp collecting!

I probably now have way too many bottles, but my wife is an enabler (and also a bourbon enthusiast), so its hard to resist the temptation!!
    Don't!!

hopefully perhaps even share a drink or two with some of you one day!
    Find your way out to Oregon and we'll make it three! Do my taxes too and we'll make it Pappy 20!

(How was that, Joe?)

The face on the avatar looks familiar...I believe I shot that man about 30 years ago...
    Last edited by CorvallisCracker; 03-16-2010 at 20:26.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Virtuoso

Sometimes I worry about you, Scott.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Virtuoso

...and welcome to the site, Matthew! I hope you enjoy the ride. there's plenty to try and plenty of us to try it with!

His avatar looks a bit like a guy I saved from a bullet wound 30 years ago.... strange.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    Sometimes I worry about you, Scott.
    Which one?!

Oh, and welcome Matthew.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    (The face on the avatar looks familiar...I believe I shot that man about 30 years ago...
    Ha! I can already tell that I will definetly appreciate your sense of humor!