Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA, MI
    Posts
    48

    Update for the week (my taste tests).

    It will be nothing exciting for a while, but so far...

    Tried some brandy and cognac. Not bad, but I'll continue on the whiskeys for now. Going to be a slower process, as I decided to finish open bottles first, unless I can find 50 ML samples.

    I also came up with a 5 star rating system. 2 stars for drinkability, 2 for flavor, and 1 possible bonus star for category favorite, good given price, something unique, etc. The bonus star is likely to be adjusted as I go.

    Out of 5 Stars:
    4 stars - Jim Beam White
    2 stars - Jack Daniels #7
    3 stars - Johnnie Walker Red
    1.5 stars - Canadiian Mist
    2.5 stars - Crown Royal
    3 stars - Segram's Seven Crown

    Many like Crown Royal, but given the price, I think there is better out there. I don't like its burn (odd, as I like this most times). I've always liked Segram's. Ok price, and just a good average whiskey. So far, tops on my list of Canadiian whiskey's.

    So a few open bottles now finished. Next up, Wild Turkey (bourbon) and I think George Dickel (the other TN whiskey).

    Also have some single malt scotches already purchased (Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, and Macallan).

    Lastly, found a 50 ML of 12 year Dewars, so will be good to sip and compare to Johnnie Walker Black.
    Last edited by thanis; 03-18-2010 at 22:58.

  2. #2
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    577

    Re: Update for the week (my taste tests).

    Thanis, what are the particular things that are beginning to stand out as things you look for or like most in a bourbon, whiskey or scotch?
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    3,025

    Re: Update for the week (my taste tests).

    Not to be critical but of the 6 whiskeys you mentioned only one was bourbon and a poor one at that. Just a friendly suggestion you spend some time reading the forums on here before you make any whiskey purchases.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

  4. #4
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA, MI
    Posts
    48

    Re: Update for the week (my taste tests).

    Quote Originally Posted by Dramiel McHinson View Post
    Thanis, what are the particular things that are beginning to stand out as things you look for or like most in a bourbon, whiskey or scotch?
    I can't figure it out yet. I've read a few reviews where people talk about noise, etc. I don't have the jardon.

    I taste the peat in scotch. Hard to miss. I think I can tell bourbon is a little sweeter (hope that is right). I get a vanilla and I swaer a citrus more from Jim then say the others.

    I can clearly tell there is something about a scotch before a bourbon that allows me enjoy bourbon a little more more. Nothing wrong with scotch, but that order does something I like.

    After the next few purchases of some basic bourbons (Evan Williams and Wid Turkey) will hopefully be able to read a few reviews on the forum and start to understand the jargon.

  5. #5
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA, MI
    Posts
    48

    Re: Update for the week (my taste tests).

    Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    Not to be critical but of the 6 whiskeys you mentioned only one was bourbon and a poor one at that. Just a friendly suggestion you spend some time reading the forums on here before you make any whiskey purchases.
    Fully agree. Just getting past some open bottles and 50 ML samples I've had. In addition, just hitting the basics of all whiskeys, as I have never really done this.

  6. #6
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    5,936

    Re: Update for the week (my taste tests).

    Quote Originally Posted by thanis View Post
    Fully agree. Just getting past some open bottles and 50 ML samples I've had. In addition, just hitting the basics of all whiskeys, as I have never really done this.
    I can't say that I fully agree with Paul. I kinda like the idea of you going into it blind. As you say, you're still very early in the whiskey game. At this early juncture, I think you are better served to determine a little something about your own preferences and palate, rather than reading about what others prefer. If we all did that, nobody would try pours like the JB Whites of the world, and that would be a shame. Your Grab n Growl method is a good way to dive in and find out a little bit about your tastes, IMO. I think that in too many instances, new people to bourbon and SB are influenced too much by the opinion of others. "This one is better." "Don't drink that one because the company is bad." "Nobody likes that one." "Consensus is that this one is THE BEST." " XXX is too dry." "That one's not worth the price." "The only people who like that one are not serious bourbon drinkers." Etc., etc. Get your feet wet, try and figure out what your own preferences are, and then use the info here to try and figure out what it all means and what direction you want to go.

    I like that you're "just hitting the basics of all whiskey's." Get a good baseline. I also like your idea of rating them. I would only suggest that you jot down some notes on each. What you liked or disliked, any distinguishing characteristic of each, how one compared to another, etc.

    There is no "right" way to do this. Have fun splashing around in the whiskey pool. And, as you throw in a few more bourbons, just be sure to mix up the distilleries that you choose (Here's where Paul is right, and the site can be helpful), and please keep us posted on your progression.
    Cheers!
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

  7. #7
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    577

    Re: Update for the week (my taste tests).

    Quote Originally Posted by thanis View Post
    I can't figure it out yet. I've read a few reviews where people talk about noise, etc. I don't have the jardon.
    Don't worry. The worst thing that can happen is there is no one in your area that has the same interest as you, leaving you to enjoy your hobby alone.

    Take your time and try what interests you. There are two ways that I enjoy exploring a new bourbon, whiskey or scotch. The first is I want to analyze it very closely. I research the distillery and get familiar with its history. I read independent assessments but I form my own opinion through a ritual of slow and meticulous enjoyment, recording my impression as I go. Next I just drink it cause I want to enjoy it and I don't take notes or follow a ritual testing protocol. The nice thing about this hobby is I'm in complete control of it and the chances of me being injured during gameplay is pretty remote. Although I might get just a little woozy if I play too long on a single set.

    The jargon comes in time but what is most remarkable and enjoyable is you will develop a keen nose and palate for hundreds of smells and tastes. Right now if all you can pick out is three or four familiar smells or tastes then you are normal and well on your way to becoming a master taster.

    Enjoy!
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

  8. #8
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,324

    Re: Update for the week (my taste tests).

    Paul and Joe's points certainly make me wonder: How much of our preferences are our own?

    I started out with Jim Beam White, Crown Royal, and the occasional maker's & coke (although my first bourbon experience was PROBABLY actually Elijah Craig 12 year and coke- but don't tell Chu'Wuti that! )

    It took me a longer amount of time to develop a taste for wheated bourbons than ryed ones- is this because no one was around to say that "Pappy von Schnakkkle was the best," or was it because I was raised eating spicy foods? Or was it because my first bourbon experiences WERE ryed bourbons?
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    3,025

    Re: Update for the week (my taste tests).

    My post was poorly worded at best, my thought was that jumping around all the different whiskeys would only serve to confuse you. That maybe you should start with bourbon get some good suggestions from from people on the site for ones to try for a newcomer. Get some experience with bourbon before venturing out with the other whiskies. That's just my opinion as you can see others have different opinions and theirs opinions may be better then mine certainly some or most have more experience than me. I did not intend for my post to come off as rude as it well could be taken my apologies.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

  10. #10
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    577

    Re: Update for the week (my taste tests).

    Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    My post was poorly worded at best, my thought was that jumping around all the different whiskeys would only serve to confuse you. .... I did not intend for my post to come off as rude as it well could be taken my apologies.
    Every different opinion serves to describe our beloved hobby more completely. Your advice would have served me well when I first started. As it turns out I wandered around considerably until I began to settle down and focus. Of course, some of my fondest memories are of discoveries made while wandering around lost. But having a game plan is a good way to conserve funds and enjoy good spirits. I appreciate your posts.

    I've learned more from smart people who had a different opinion than my own than I have learned by listening only to myself.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top