Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

A little control state venting...

So I'm a relative bourbon noob. About one year into my journey of rocks/neat consumption. Thru recommendations and searching here @ SB.com I have found some really good bourbons and whiskies that I enjoy. Problem is that most of them are being dropped by the comrades over at the state ran ABC.

Late last night I was reading a post in the rye section. Decided I would have a pour of baby Saz. Anyway, look around the whiskey cabinet and only find 1 bottle with a couple of pours left. I thought I had a couple of more bottles bunkered, but I must have been overindulging. Well the last two pours were wonderful as usual.

Fast forward to today. Stop by the local store to pick up a few for the bunker. Told sorry we're sold out. Sazerac has been discontinued. Well if that ain't a bite in the rear.

So over the last few months the ABC has discontinued some of my favorite pours. ETL, Weller SR, Berheim Wheat, and now baby Saz. We've got plenty of Red Stag tho'.

Disciple

Re: A little control state venting...

Think of it as a blessing in disguise. A reason for an out-of-state hunting trip.

Advanced Taster

I have wanted to try the Berheim Wheat myself for quite awhile now. Picked one up and set it back down just last night like I have on many occasions in the past, and it was on sale... Looks like I better grab one before they disappear. It was the last one they had.
    Jeff...

I can learn to resist anything but temptation.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    Think of it as a blessing in disguise. A reason for an out-of-state hunting trip.
    Looks like another trip will be in the works soon. Just found out that not only did the state ABC drop baby Saz they also took it off the special order list completely.

Advanced Taster

As much as there is to hate in NJ, for bourbon consumption and dusty hunting it's pretty tough to beat. My condolences to all the control state people. (But at least you don't have NJ taxes!)

Guru

I live in a control state and make a point of traveling out of state for bourbon purchases. While my state has dropped some good labels, they've managed to pick up others. Problem is, prices are too high for my wallet so I get the double benefit of finding good bourbon out of state and paying less.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Virtuoso

Control states are a perfect example of why, if the government was a business, it would be out of business.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Res/st-or View Post
    I have wanted to try the Berheim Wheat myself for quite awhile now. Picked one up and set it back down just last night like I have on many occasions in the past, and it was on sale... Looks like I better grab one before they disappear. It was the last one they had.
    I don't want to change the subject but if you get Bernheim make it your first pour of the night. It doesn't follow well but it leads well.

I live in a control state as well I make most of my purchases out of state. Gee guess where my tax dollars are going.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by B1bomber View Post
    As much as there is to hate in NJ, for bourbon consumption and dusty hunting it's pretty tough to beat. My condolences to all the control state people. (But at least you don't have NJ taxes!)
    While I haven't seen many old bottles, I really have NOT been very serious about dusty hunting in NJ. Perhaps that's because the places I go that have a good variety and decent pricing are the places that rotate stock and don't really have dusties.

Pricing is the toughest thing here. For example, Bookers sells for $55-65 here in NJ, while in control state PA, it's on sale for $42 every other month (starting 6/28) like clockwork. On sale in PA this month - WT 101 Rye for $18, usually $22-26 here in NJ. Now I'll admit most of PA's pricing is not that favorable, but you can look it all up on their website.

When PA was closing out Russell's Reserve Rye, I got it for $17. If I want it now, shops in NJ have it for $34. You win some, you lose some.
    Last edited by matthew0715; 06-15-2010 at 09:33. Reason: left out the "NOT"
    -Matt

Whiskey's fer drinking, stamps are fer collecting.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    Control states are a perfect example of why, if the government was a business, it would be out of business.
    No, it wouldn't...........it would just be mandatory that you buy "your fair share" of....X.....for example......... JB White and Red Gag..........

(If you were a bureaucrat with some pull.....you might be able to score a case of Baby Saz...... if it was still made........)
    Last edited by ILLfarmboy; 06-15-2010 at 09:49.