Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: What bourbon did you purchase today? Spring 2010

Because of the database restore and lost details to my bottle...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    Because of the database restore and lost details to my bottle...
    This bottle looks very interesting. Have you tried it yet?
    If so tell us about it. PM me if you want to swap some samples.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ovh

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    This bottle looks very interesting. Have you tried it yet?
    If so tell us about it. PM me if you want to swap some samples.
    I have not tried it, and I probably won't open it for a little while. I don't like to open the expensive (to me, over $50) bottles unless it's some sort of special occasion, especially if I've only got one of them. However, I do consider things such as a pet's birthday, or a few days off work, to be a special occasion. I'll try to remember to get in touch with you when the seal is broken.

There was some discussion between us about this bottle in this thread last night, but it was lost in the database restore. I was asking the same questions about the bottle myself to SGTGTO who actually has bottle #22. I left off asking him where he purchased it from. Mine came from Ace Beverage in the District.

So, I ask as well. Does anybody have any more information on this bottle? All I can remember from last night's threads was that it was "dry", "grassy" and needed some water. At 145.8 proof, I would imagine a little water was in order. I've never found any bottle of bourbon to be grassy, but maybe I just call it something else, or haven't happened upon this flavor within my newly built bunker. I do love the dry stuff though, with 07GTS to be the dryest whiskey I've tasted, or so I think. Which raises another question, does anyone have examples of a "grassy" or "dry" whiskey?

Thanks for any and all info! It's always appreciated.

Guru

Thanx 4 the reply SMOWK, I'm the same way as far as waiting for special occasions to open a bottle such as this.
    ovh

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Thanx 4 the reply SMOWK, I'm the same way as far as waiting for special occasions to open a bottle such as this.
    I used to bring good bottles to "get togethers", but I found that to be a bad idea. It's usually pearls before swine where I'm at. I've had too many instances of shot takers hitting up the Stagg than I'm willing to admit. That same bottle could sit on my shelf to be enjoyed for quite a while, instead of watching it not only go down quick with a beer and a funny face, but also back up soon after. I'm not a fan of pouring BTAC in the back yard.

Taster

OFBB, heard too many good things to not get this. Found some Weller Special Reserve that I passed on, older label & different bottle? not the same as the one I bought in Michigan a month ago. Has 7 yr age statement like the OWA (I dont recall the one I have having an age statement) and the bottle is the same as OWA. Bottle is stamped '03. Any opinions on this? I believe it was right at $20. Worth it? I'll be here a couple more days. I'm sure they wont sell the 3 or 4 they had on the shelf in that time.

The Voshole

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    They looked at that and just shook their heads. I cant imagine what they will say when I return and add another 7+ bottles to the bar. Maybe I need new friends?
    You don't need new friends, you just need to bring them along for the ride. Some will take longer to cultivate than others (ask Fishnbowljoe) but they will appreciate it and thank you when all is said and done. Who knows, one of them may end up with more bottles than you!

Gary
    Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I used to bring good bottles to "get togethers", but I found that to be a bad idea. It's usually pearls before swine where I'm at. I've had too many instances of shot takers hitting up the Stagg than I'm willing to admit. That same bottle could sit on my shelf to be enjoyed for quite a while, instead of watching it not only go down quick with a beer and a funny face, but also back up soon after. I'm not a fan of pouring BTAC in the back yard.
    Man, you need a new set of friends.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Disciple

Got myself 3 more JPRS17 in NH for $70 each -- I said I wasn't going to buy any of this stuff, but boredom won me over. Plus I think the Batch #7 is really good and for $70, what the hell -- once it's gone, it's gone -- I'll have some when I'm old now maybe.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Picked up my first 'dusty' today in Minnesota, a 1998 Pewter Top Kentucky Spirit. Just might drink the whole damn thing the way I feel right now.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"