Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2262707172
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: What are you drinking Spring 2010?

I've been trying different vattings, generally because the taste of the bourbons I'm buying recently do not appeal 100%. Exceptions: a rich almost custardy Knob Creek, and the Old Gran-dad 86 proof I got at Randy's recently, which has that indefinable orange marmalade taste I liked in the ND versions. These will stay as they are.

And so to vatting.

While initially I liked on its own VSOF 12 years old, as it sat in the bottle either it changed or I noticed things that IMO could be improved. The taste is good but the body was thinnish and the finish a little lacking. I did 3:1 this bourbon to Woodford Reserve. Generally, you add older bourbon to a larger amount of younger; here I did the reverse because it worked. The woody sappy oily WR filled out the VSOF 12, lengthened the finish and deepened the taste while retaining the malty and cherry-like notes of the latter. It's got the best of both and the oily accents of the WR, deriving I believe from its pot still element, are brought down a notch or two.

And then I took that very smooth, sweet but a little corny Corner's Creek (current release, not the 8 year old version of years past), and added it to Maker's Mark, 3:1 Maker's to the other. What happens is the Makers gets deeper in taste, fuller and with a more integrated finish. It may sound odd that this can happen by adding a whiskey that may well be younger, but it can. I'd estimate the Corner Creek at 4 years old, maybe less, the label does not state it is straight bourbon.

And so, I get the flavor that appeals to me.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 06-19-2010 at 12:21.

The Voshole

It's been a great weekend so far. Last night I opened a Binny's Weller 12 from the bunker. Dangerous stuff, it goes down too easy.

Tonight my wife and I went out for dinner and I had a generously poured Knob Creek with my steak. Nice combination. Returning home, she wanted to have some of her Disaronno amaretto, so I decided it was time to bring out the JPS. I swear, each pour is better than the last with this one.

What to have for Father's Day? A dilemma I look forward to.
    Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself

Guru

Blistering hot & humid today... staying indoors and enjoying some Wathens on the rocks.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Trippah and Admin

I worked all day yesterday and most of the morning today which caused me to miss the shindig in Detroit and/or seeing the reigning 2x BTOTY at the Grand Am race at Mid Ohio.

Luckily work quieted down as Fathers Day progressed and I'm catching up on the race with a nice pour of Binny's Weller 12.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Disciple

Brought my dad lots of new york strips and PVW15.

Guru

For Fathers day I did some of the cooking but that's only because I wanted to smoke a couple chickens and have some ribs on the barbie. It was all good and enjoyed some afternoon drams with my dad and family. On the bar:

Bushmills Millennium
    Balvenie 15 yr Singularity
    1978 Old Forester BIB
    2009 OWA fm Julios
    FRSB 40th
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Disciple

I had Pappy 15 before dinner yesterday and WLW 2007 and Handy 2009 after.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey