Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Located Some Woodford Masters Sweet Mash.

Traveling in Savannah, GA. Went in to a local liquor store to grab some bourbon to sip on while I'm here. As I'm checking out I look out and there are 4 bottles of Woodford Reserve Master Collection "Sweet Mash". I know this is the 2nd release of the collection, behind 4 grain, which from what I've read on here was disgusting.

I've had the Seasoned Oak, Sonoma Cutrer and enjoyed both immensely. Seeing this perked my curiosity. I've wanted to try this one, but you just can't find it, unless you want to purchase it off eBay and get raped on price because of it's limited release.

Who's had this? Was it good? I know most of the releases go for around $89. This on is priced at $99. Is it worth it? Looking for some input from trusted from the people I trust on SB!

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Re: Located Some Woodford Masters Sweet Mash.

I enjoyed the Sweet Mash; way better than the first release. Goes for around $89 here in Texas.

Connoisseur

I have had it. It has been my favortie so far. It seemed very corny to me. In a real good way. My problem is that all of these releases are way too expense for what they are.

There are those on this forum that didn't like it that much. I liked it a lot! Made me think of bourbon/scotch blend. Long pleasant aftertaste.

Guru

I found that it wasn't that much different from a standard sourmash.... certainly not enough to justify the price.

But, YMMV.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Enthusiast

Sweet Mash is batch 3. Four grain was #1, Sonoma Cutrer is batch 2, and Sweet mash is #3. Seasoned Oak follwed thsse as # 4, and seasoned maple is supposed to be realeased this year for 2010.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    Sweet Mash is batch 3. Four grain was #1, Sonoma Cutrer is batch 2, and Sweet mash is #3. Seasoned Oak follwed thsse as # 4, and seasoned maple is supposed to be realeased this year for 2010.
    I am trying to remember when the first Four Grain was released.
    There were two in different bottles, the original bottle is shorter than the ones they used for the second release of Four Grain and all the other batches.
    It seems to me I bought it in KY in the Fall of '05 or it might have been in the Spring of '06 but I do know that it was just released when I got it.
    And if it was '05 did WR miss a year of release? 2010 would be #6.
    ovh

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    Alrighty then, now that that is clear...... I did end up buying a bottle. I knew if I passed it up I wouldn't have been able to live with myself once I got home. Woodford has always been a winner to me and continues to be even after my love for bourbon blossomed into an obsession. The seasoned oak was superb, the sonama cutrer was tasty and judging from the responses here, the sweet mash is good but to some not worth the price. That was enough to sell me on it though. I don't know if I could say the same if I stumbled upon a bottle of four grain (from what I've read here it was pretty repulsive).

Well thanks everyone for your opinions. I love this board and probably wouldn't have pulled the trigger had I not had some people respond with real world tasting knowledge. Being back home some 6 hours away from where I discovered it, I'm glad I pulled the trigger.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    I am trying to remember when the first Four Grain was released.
    There were two in different bottles, the original bottle is shorter than the ones they used for the second release of Four Grain and all the other batches.
    It seems to me I bought it in KY in the Fall of '05 or it might have been in the Spring of '06 but I do know that it was just released when I got it.
    And if it was '05 did WR miss a year of release? 2010 would be #6.
    Didn't they do two years of the 4G? (You'd think they would have learned their lesson after one.) 2005-06?

Then Cutrer Finish (2007), Sweet Mash (2008), Seasoned Oak (2009).
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    Didn't they do two years of the 4G? (You'd think they would have learned their lesson after one.) 2005-06?

Then Cutrer Finish (2007), Sweet Mash (2008), Seasoned Oak (2009).
    Yeah, I think you are right.
    1st year short bottle.
    2nd year the tall one that they have used for the other releases.
    ovh