Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What did you pass up today? Spring - Summer 2010

Passed on a bottle of Mcafee's Benchmark old number 8 today as they had plenty of bottles there and I was shocked by how cheap it was so wanted to pop on here and see if it was worth a try.
    The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable, we had to add whiskey. By diligent effort, I learned to like it.
    -- Winston Churchill

Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip Silverfish!
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Disciple

Passed up a whole row of Old Forester BIB today. They've been there a while, so I've been letting them hang out awaiting the proper time. It's getting close to fall bottling season, so I've been saving the money.

I really think 09 OFBB hurt my view of OF products as a whole. I did like the 2008 bottle I had. What were they thinking when they bottled the BB in 2009?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    Passed up a whole row of Old Forester BIB today. They've been there a while, so I've been letting them hang out awaiting the proper time. It's getting close to fall bottling season, so I've been saving the money.

I really think 09 OFBB hurt my view of OF products as a whole. I did like the 2008 bottle I had. What were they thinking when they bottled the BB in 2009?
    Being in MD, you should be able to find some dusty bottles of older Old Forester. I've picked up a number of bottles from the 70's and 80's and those older bottles are some of my favorite. I had OF Signature the other night and it's just not the same as the stuff distilled 3-4 decades ago. The older stuff is rich, creamy (buttery) and full of flavor. I have a 70's vintage Old Forester BIB open right now and I'd put that head to head with SW any day.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Virtuoso

I have a couple of OF BiB from the 80's and I think they are great. Still searching for the 70's version but if it improves on the ones I have I can't wait until I find some.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    I have a couple of OF BiB from the 80's and I think they are great. Still searching for the 70's version but if it improves on the ones I have I can't wait until I find some.
    When it comes to Old Forester, 414>354 (just my humble opinion).
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke

Visiting friends in SoCal I had to pass up some ND OGD 86 because I just wasn't paying $23.99 a bottle for it. I can't believe that 20 years ago when that was first put on a shelf it was going for that much.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    Being in MD, you should be able to find some dusty bottles of older Old Forester. I've picked up a number of bottles from the 70's and 80's and those older bottles are some of my favorite.
    I've searched and searched all over, with none to be found. Most of my searching was/is done on the eastern shore, but I've also made my way around the other side of the Chesapeake quite a bit to no avail. The dusties I've found have all been from out of state.

Enthusiast

I passed on Weller 12 for $20. I have had the Weller Antique 7 and the Weller Antique with no age statement and liked both. Should I pick up the 12? Is it better/similar?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by IowaJeff View Post
    I passed on Weller 12 for $20. I have had the Weller Antique 7 and the Weller Antique with no age statement and liked both. Should I pick up the 12? Is it better/similar?
    I would say pick it up as the Weller 12 is the older of the other two yet sitting at 90 proof. It's nice to have this bottled coupled with the other two so you have the variety of age and proof to experience.