Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 139
  1. #101
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    123

    Re: What did you pass up today? Spring - Summer 2010

    Passed on a bottle of Mcafee's Benchmark old number 8 today as they had plenty of bottles there and I was shocked by how cheap it was so wanted to pop on here and see if it was worth a try.
    The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable, we had to add whiskey. By diligent effort, I learned to like it.
    -- Winston Churchill

  2. #102
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    458

    Re: What did you pass up today? Spring - Summer 2010

    Thanks for the tip Silverfish!
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

  3. #103
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    DelMarVa
    Posts
    1,867

    Re: What did you pass up today? Spring - Summer 2010

    Passed up a whole row of Old Forester BIB today. They've been there a while, so I've been letting them hang out awaiting the proper time. It's getting close to fall bottling season, so I've been saving the money.

    I really think 09 OFBB hurt my view of OF products as a whole. I did like the 2008 bottle I had. What were they thinking when they bottled the BB in 2009?

  4. #104
    Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Wash DC Metro
    Posts
    2,413

    Re: What did you pass up today? Spring - Summer 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    Passed up a whole row of Old Forester BIB today. They've been there a while, so I've been letting them hang out awaiting the proper time. It's getting close to fall bottling season, so I've been saving the money.

    I really think 09 OFBB hurt my view of OF products as a whole. I did like the 2008 bottle I had. What were they thinking when they bottled the BB in 2009?
    Being in MD, you should be able to find some dusty bottles of older Old Forester. I've picked up a number of bottles from the 70's and 80's and those older bottles are some of my favorite. I had OF Signature the other night and it's just not the same as the stuff distilled 3-4 decades ago. The older stuff is rich, creamy (buttery) and full of flavor. I have a 70's vintage Old Forester BIB open right now and I'd put that head to head with SW any day.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

  5. #105
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Tallahassee
    Posts
    1,404

    Re: What did you pass up today? Spring - Summer 2010

    I have a couple of OF BiB from the 80's and I think they are great. Still searching for the 70's version but if it improves on the ones I have I can't wait until I find some.

  6. #106
    Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Wash DC Metro
    Posts
    2,413

    Re: What did you pass up today? Spring - Summer 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    I have a couple of OF BiB from the 80's and I think they are great. Still searching for the 70's version but if it improves on the ones I have I can't wait until I find some.
    When it comes to Old Forester, 414>354 (just my humble opinion).
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

  7. #107
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Damn close to the the 45th Parallel
    Posts
    2,589

    Re: What did you pass up today? Spring - Summer 2010

    Visiting friends in SoCal I had to pass up some ND OGD 86 because I just wasn't paying $23.99 a bottle for it. I can't believe that 20 years ago when that was first put on a shelf it was going for that much.
    C

    "everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

  8. #108
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    DelMarVa
    Posts
    1,867

    Re: What did you pass up today? Spring - Summer 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    Being in MD, you should be able to find some dusty bottles of older Old Forester. I've picked up a number of bottles from the 70's and 80's and those older bottles are some of my favorite.
    I've searched and searched all over, with none to be found. Most of my searching was/is done on the eastern shore, but I've also made my way around the other side of the Chesapeake quite a bit to no avail. The dusties I've found have all been from out of state.

  9. #109
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Posts
    256

    Re: What did you pass up today? Spring - Summer 2010

    I passed on Weller 12 for $20. I have had the Weller Antique 7 and the Weller Antique with no age statement and liked both. Should I pick up the 12? Is it better/similar?

  10. #110
    Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Wash DC Metro
    Posts
    2,413

    Re: What did you pass up today? Spring - Summer 2010

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaJeff View Post
    I passed on Weller 12 for $20. I have had the Weller Antique 7 and the Weller Antique with no age statement and liked both. Should I pick up the 12? Is it better/similar?
    I would say pick it up as the Weller 12 is the older of the other two yet sitting at 90 proof. It's nice to have this bottled coupled with the other two so you have the variety of age and proof to experience.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Empty Bottle Support Group, 2010
    By callmeox in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 214
    Last Post: 01-17-2011, 08:46
  2. What Bourbon Are You Drinking, Summer 2010
    By OscarV in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 980
    Last Post: 09-25-2010, 11:51
  3. What bourbon did you purchase today? Summer 2010
    By hectic1 in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 429
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 18:58
  4. What bourbon did you purchase today? Spring 2010
    By hectic1 in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 404
    Last Post: 06-22-2010, 16:29
  5. What Did You Have to Pass Up Today?
    By funknik in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 321
    Last Post: 03-05-2010, 11:12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top