Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What did you pass up today? Spring 2010

I passed up PVW 20 for $85 and PVW 12 for $45. The PVW 23 was $200, but that's out of my range so I don't know if that counts as 'passing up.' I'm regretting not getting the 20, it was a weekend deal so it will be back to a little over $100 if I go back.

Advanced Taster

I passed on some JD silver select for 60$ in SeaTac, and 41 euro in AMS.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I've had a bottle of the PH 122.6 and it was fantastic (paid $90). However I've heard the PH 129 isn't quite up to snuff. Do you disagree?
    I strongly disagree. People who say that they prefer the 122.6 over the 129 aren't saying that the 129 isn't up to snuff. I think most of them are saying that they find the 122.6 slightly more drinkable because it is smoother and "easier." It's like saying the 2007 WLW is better than the 2008. You're going to get a lot of disagreement, and no one is wrong- 07 is awesome for easy of consumption and 08 is awesome for the (perhaps) slightly more complex flavors but neither one is bad.

And that's not exactly it, either. I've tried both and wouldn't pick between the two but would sure as hell buy either for the price with no second thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Advanced Taster

I passed up a WTKS even though it was a reasonable $47 because when I picked the bottle up off the shelf, I saw a surprisingly large quantity of white sediment moving around at the bottom. Can someone explain this? I checked another thread here about floaties, but these were sinkers.

If the sediment was black like in Stagg, that would seem normal since it's unfiltered. But I know from another recent discussion here that all WT is filtered (except for the new RB). So is white sediment just naturally occurring minerals in the limestone water settling out? This happens to me at home if I let a large glass of tap water sit still for a few hours or overnight. Or is this a sign of possible cork taint or other cork problems?

I know, I should have written down all the barrel info on this. All I know is the top is NOT pewter, it's dark brown with the embossed turkey image.
    -Matt

Whiskey's fer drinking, stamps are fer collecting.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by matthew0715 View Post
    I passed up a WTKS even though it was a reasonable $47 because when I picked the bottle up off the shelf, I saw a surprisingly large quantity of white sediment moving around at the bottom. Can someone explain this? I checked another thread here about floaties, but these were sinkers.

If the sediment was black like in Stagg, that would seem normal since it's unfiltered. But I know from another recent discussion here that all WT is filtered (except for the new RB). So is white sediment just naturally occurring minerals in the limestone water settling out? This happens to me at home if I let a large glass of tap water sit still for a few hours or overnight. Or is this a sign of possible cork taint or other cork problems?

I know, I should have written down all the barrel info on this. All I know is the top is NOT pewter, it's dark brown with the embossed turkey image.

You'll probably see that a lot in WTKS, it's something akin to sugar. I've seen it in older bottles (sitting 20+ years) in which some evap has occured. perhaps as the alcohol and water escape, some of the "sugars" are able to escape solution and sink to the bottom.

Whatever the case, I seem to see this often with WTKS even if there hasn't been noticeable evap, and I haven't really been disappointed with a bottle with white/clear sinkers. They did make me nervous at first too, though!

With sinkers, be concerned if it's brown... or it looks like super fine tan sediment (even finer than sand). those WTKS are probably good.
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    I strongly disagree. People who say that they prefer the 122.6 over the 129 aren't saying that the 129 isn't up to snuff. I think most of them are saying that they find the 122.6 slightly more drinkable because it is smoother and "easier." It's like saying the 2007 WLW is better than the 2008. You're going to get a lot of disagreement, and no one is wrong- 07 is awesome for easy of consumption and 08 is awesome for the (perhaps) slightly more complex flavors but neither one is bad.

And that's not exactly it, either. I've tried both and wouldn't pick between the two but would sure as hell buy either for the price with no second thought.
    Thanks for the heads up. Perhaps on my next trip out there I'll get it!
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post

I've got a few of the 127.4. And they go for $61 at a store I frequent. Are you saying I should go there and buy the rest? I will god damn it I will!!!

Virtuoso

I've got a few of the 127.4. And they go for $61 at a store I frequent. Are you saying I should go there and buy the rest? I will god damn it I will!!!
    61 for a 127.4??????

Guru

I haven't had the 127.4 but if it is close to the 122.6, I say hell yes!

i passed up an Old Overholt Rye. not really a big deal, but i havent had it before and i was curious. i let it go since it was only 8 bones, so i didnt figure i was missing much. plus the proprietor said that have it on hand all the time, so i figure i can go back and pick it up when im in the mood for a rye.