Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,399

    Bye Bye Top Shelf Scotch

    Looks like I'm moving back to Canada after 15 good years here in the US.
    I just took a job in Ontario and will be moving there sometime this summer. Accepting the job offer was bittersweet to say the least.

    Bye Bye $42 Ardberg 10, Hello $100+ Ardberg 10.
    Bye Bye $50 Talisker 10, $55 Laphroaig QC, $40 Bunnahabain 12, etc...

    Bye Bye New Hampshire's discount liquor, hello Ontario Liquor Control Board....

    I've looked into the matter and it seems that I'm allowed to bring my bunker across tax free (One shot at it I guess). It currently stands at ~ 50 bottles. It should be ~ 100 bottles by this summer if that's the case.

    Guess I won't be able to throw jabs at Megawatt anymore about socialized liquor
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

  2. #2
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NE OH
    Posts
    1,784

    Re: Bye Bye Top Shelf Scotch

    Doh! That sucks.

    My BIL is a realtor up there, he's been selling like crazy the last 3 weeks.

    Good luck with the move.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

    GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

  3. #3
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Flamborough, Ontario
    Posts
    768

    Re: Bye Bye Top Shelf Scotch

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Looks like I'm moving back to Canada after 15 good years here in the US.
    I just took a job in Ontario and will be moving there sometime this summer. Accepting the job offer was bittersweet to say the least.

    Bye Bye $42 Ardberg 10, Hello $100+ Ardberg 10.
    Bye Bye $50 Talisker 10, $55 Laphroaig QC, $40 Bunnahabain 12, etc...

    Bye Bye New Hampshire's discount liquor, hello Ontario Liquor Control Board....

    I've looked into the matter and it seems that I'm allowed to bring my bunker across tax free (One shot at it I guess). It currently stands at ~ 50 bottles. It should be ~ 100 bottles by this summer if that's the case.

    Guess I won't be able to throw jabs at Megawatt anymore about socialized liquor
    I was about to say something snarky but you beat me to it. I'm sure it will be a painful adjustment for you. Never mind Ardbeg; $42 can't even get you Glenfiddich around here. Bunnahabain isn't available in the province, last I checked. At least you'll have better access to Canadian whiskies you probably don't give a crap about anyway .

    Somehow I can't imagine customs being cool with your trailer full of liquor bottles. Better look into it some more. I would hate to hear about a mass confiscation.

    Incidentally, whereabouts in Ontario are you moving to?

  4. #4
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    577

    Re: Bye Bye Top Shelf Scotch

    This is tragic on many levels. Can you receive 50ml mercy bottles through the mail? Can you import medicinal Ardbeg?

    Good luck with your new job and if the 100 bottle head start works out the way you plan, you'll have time to think about options before you become desperate.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

  5. #5
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA, MI
    Posts
    48

    Re: Bye Bye Top Shelf Scotch

    Well, employment is even more important, and there are always the duty free stores for some of it (depending on how close to the boarder you are).

    Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    ...Somehow I can't imagine customs being cool with your trailer full of liquor bottles. Better look into it some more. I would hate to hear about a mass confiscation...
    +1

  6. #6
    Taster
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    57

    Re: Bye Bye Top Shelf Scotch

    I'm so sorry to hear this! I would be lost without my Laphroaig or Talisker or Ardbeg . . . what a terrible fate!

    And even if you can take your personal supply across the border, what about the future? Those bottles won't last forever!

    If you visit the states, are you allowed to bring back purchases without surcharges? Others have already asked about shipping you supplies.

    Even so, it's a horrible thing to contemplate!
    Sandy

    "Always carry a large flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake." W. C. Fields

  7. #7
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    345

    Re: Bye Bye Top Shelf Scotch

    On the plus side...Hello Alberta Springs 100% rye whiskey!

    I'm pretty sure it's not available in the USA.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut


  8. #8
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,399

    Re: Bye Bye Top Shelf Scotch

    Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    Doh! That sucks.

    My BIL is a realtor up there, he's been selling like crazy the last 3 weeks.

    Good luck with the move.
    Thanks. Real estate is pretty pricey up there for sure.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dramiel McHinson View Post
    This is tragic on many levels. Can you receive 50ml mercy bottles through the mail? Can you import medicinal Ardbeg?
    They seem pretty strict. I guess I'll have to sneak a few bottles back every time I go to the States. Ardberg should be covered by Medicare right?

    Quote Originally Posted by thanis View Post
    Well, employment is even more important, and there are always the duty free stores for some of it (depending on how close to the border you are).
    Yes, it is a bitter-sweet victory getting the position. Duty-free actually tends to be more expensive than NH for the most part.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chu'Wuti View Post
    I'm so sorry to hear this! I would be lost without my Laphroaig or Talisker or Ardbeg . . . what a terrible fate!

    And even if you can take your personal supply across the border, what about the future? Those bottles won't last forever!

    If you visit the states, are you allowed to bring back purchases without surcharges? Others have already asked about shipping you supplies.

    Even so, it's a horrible thing to contemplate!
    You can usually bring back 1.15 liters per 48 hour visit to the US. That doesn't last too long in my house.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. François View Post
    On the plus side...Hello Alberta Springs 100% rye whiskey! I'm pretty sure it's not available in the USA.
    Never had it. But thanks for the heads-up. I may become a Canadian Whisk(e)y drinker yet!
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

  9. #9
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Flamborough, Ontario
    Posts
    768

    Re: Bye Bye Top Shelf Scotch

    Too bad we recently ran out of Alberta Premium 25 year old rye at the LCBO. It was beyond a steal at $29.95. I'm just about finished a bottle of Wiser's 18, which is quite nice but at $50 I'm tempted by many other things...

  10. #10
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Flamborough, Ontario
    Posts
    768

    Re: Bye Bye Top Shelf Scotch

    There is a new distillery in the Toronto area making single malt whisky, so that is exciting news for us, or will be in a few years anyway.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Modifying my top shelf
    By MarkEdwards in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-20-2009, 19:32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top