Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Bye Bye Top Shelf Scotch

There is a new distillery in the Toronto area making single malt whisky, so that is exciting news for us, or will be in a few years anyway.

Virtuoso

I just spoke to the folks at the Canadian customs and at the LCBO. Looks like I'd be paying $10-$15 per bottle plus 5% GST on the value. Kinda sucks. I might leave my stash with friends and bring it across slowly or wait 'till I return to the US in 5 yrs or so.

I looked at the LCBO website. Decent selection of scotch compared to the Regie in Quebec. I saw the Laph QC for about $65 which is do-able. No bourbon to speak of other that Jim Beam White and Woodford Reserve... yuck. I have to leave behind my BTAC collection and suffer I guess.

Megawatt, you'll have to guide me to the better values offered at the LCBO me thinks.

Cheers!
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    There is a new distillery in the Toronto area making single malt whisky, so that is exciting news for us, or will be in a few years anyway.
    I visited the distillery in Cape Breton (i.e., Glen Breton). Not a bad whiskey but rather expensive at $70. I'd have been willing to pay closer to $40 for that quality.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I just spoke to the folks at the Canadian customs and at the LCBO. Looks like I'd be paying $10-$15 per bottle plus 5% GST on the value. Kinda sucks. I might leave my stash with friends and bring it across slowly or wait 'till I return to the US in 5 yrs or so.

I looked at the LCBO website. Decent selection of scotch compared to the Regie in Quebec. I saw the Laph QC for about $65 which is do-able. No bourbon to speak of other that Jim Beam White and Woodford Reserve... yuck. I have to leave behind my BTAC collection and suffer I guess.

Megawatt, you'll have to guide me to the better values offered at the LCBO me thinks.

Cheers!
    I'll be glad to help when I can. There are monthly sales listed on the website so I check those at the beginning of each month. Plus new products are added frequently. Eagle Rare Single Barrel is on the listing but not yet in stock. Never tried it but I'd like to. I'm probably gonna get me some Isle of Arran Robert Burns single malt. It is fantastic stuff for $41, if a bit young.

Guru

Hey James, I've got a brilliant idea: I'll hold on to your bunker until you need it back. But if you long for a "taste" of an old favorite once you've moved back to Canada, I can crack open one of your bottles and send you some really detailed tasting notes after a few pours.

Seriously though, perhaps you should bring just a few bottles over the border at a time and have your friends and relatives transport the rest incrementally when they visit. It seems too steep a price to pay all the excessive taxes. On the other hand, as Megawatt Mike has indicated, many of your cherished bottles are altogether unavailable in Canada or, at the very least, would cost you far more to purchase up there than the additional amount you'd pay in taxes, in which case $10-$20 per bottle would be a relative bargain to get your stash to your new home. Either way, good luck to you and your family.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Hey James, I've got a brilliant idea: I'll hold on to your bunker until you need it back. But if you long for a "taste" of an old favorite once you've moved back to Canada, I can crack open one of your bottles and send you some really detailed tasting notes after a few pours.

Seriously though, perhaps you should bring just a few bottles over the border at a time and have your friends and relatives transport the rest incrementally when they visit. It seems too steep a price to pay all the excessive taxes. On the other hand, as Megawatt Mike has indicated, many of your cherished bottles are altogether unavailable in Canada or, at the very least, would cost you far more to purchase up there than the additional amount you'd pay in taxes, in which case $10-$20 per bottle would be a relative bargain to get your stash to your new home. Either way, good luck to you and your family.
    Thanks. I think I'm going to do just that. I'm taking a trip up to Montreal this weekend and I 'll bring 3 of my most expensive up and each time I go up I'll take 3 more (i.e., 1.14L x 2 adults = 3 x 750ml). This way I may get as much as 12 bottles up before I actually move. I'll leave the bunker with a trusted friend (sorry) and move the remainder up in waves I guess.

Lastly, I'll just have to learn to drink Canadian whiskey

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Thanks. I think I'm going to do just that. I'm taking a trip up to Montreal this weekend and I 'll bring 3 of my most expensive up and each time I go up I'll take 3 more (i.e., 1.14L x 2 adults = 3 x 750ml). This way I may get as much as 12 bottles up before I actually move. I'll leave the bunker with a trusted friend (sorry) and move the remainder up in waves I guess.

Lastly, I'll just have to learn to drink Canadian whiskey
    Unfortunately most of the really good ones are around Scotch prices anyway ($40+). There are some exceptions. I really like Crown Royal; CR Limited Edition is even better. Alberta Premium Limited Edition is phenomenal if you can find it (have a look while in Montreal). Lots of people like Forty Creek Barrel Select but it doesn't sit well with me. The sherry flavour seems off somehow.

Guru

Unfortunately most of the really good ones are around Scotch prices anyway ($40+). There are some exceptions. I really like Crown Royal; CR Limited Edition is even better. Alberta Premium Limited Edition is phenomenal if you can find it (have a look while in Montreal). Lots of people like Forty Creek Barrel Select but it doesn't sit well with me. The sherry flavour seems off somehow.
    I always wanted to get my hands on some Alberta Premium. I've read great things but I hear it's hard to find. I'm sure JamesW will be surprised by the number of quality Canadian whiskeys to be found. I still haven't tried the Forty Creek despite its cheap price tag. I just expect it to be bland for some reason but shouldn't judge until I've sampled some.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I always wanted to get my hands on some Alberta Premium. I've read great things but I hear it's hard to find. I'm sure JamesW will be surprised by the number of quality Canadian whiskeys to be found. I still haven't tried the Forty Creek despite its cheap price tag. I just expect it to be bland for some reason but shouldn't judge until I've sampled some.
    Forty Creek Barrel Select is unique among Canadians. Consider that it is pot-distilled and finished in sherry casks. It is far from bland. Sometimes I like it but on the whole I find the sherry character doesn't sit as well as it does on Scotch. However it is much-loved by many Scotch and bourbon drinkers who consider it the best Canada has to offer. I've also tried their Double Barrel Reserve, which is more traditional in flavour and more to my liking.

Alberta Premium is okay if you like uncompromising rye flavour. The 25 year old is light years beyond the regular 5-year-old stuff and for only a few dollars more, but it is even harder to find. Jim Murray seems to love pure rye and so whiskies like Alberta Premium and Walker's Special Old get high marks from him.

Hell, I probably don't give Forty Creek enough credit. I hope they tone down the sherry and find other ways to make their whisky bold and distinctive, because they're on the right track.

Guru

Forty Creek Barrel Select is unique among Canadians. Consider that it is pot-distilled and finished in sherry casks. It is far from bland. Sometimes I like it but on the whole I find the sherry character doesn't sit as well as it does on Scotch. However it is much-loved by many Scotch and bourbon drinkers who consider it the best Canada has to offer. I've also tried their Double Barrel Reserve, which is more traditional in flavour and more to my liking.

Alberta Premium is okay if you like uncompromising rye flavour. The 25 year old is light years beyond the regular 5-year-old stuff and for only a few dollars more, but it is even harder to find. Jim Murray seems to love pure rye and so whiskies like Alberta Premium and Walker's Special Old get high marks from him.

Hell, I probably don't give Forty Creek enough credit. I hope they tone down the sherry and find other ways to make their whisky bold and distinctive, because they're on the right track.
    Thanks for the info on the Forty Creek. I've got a party to attend this weekend, so I'll pick up a bottle for the occasion and give it a spin. As to the Alberta Premium, I'm heavy into straight rye, so that's right up my alley. I've read Murray's reviews which is where I picked up the little info I have on AP, so you can imagine my disappointment when I discovered that it's unavailable in these parts. But the next time I'm in Toronto I'll be hunting for it, that's for sure.