Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What If...?

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: What If...?

Option One

Our sleepy friend goes over to his old haunt, the big mega liquor store and walks over to the big extra wide central aisle where all the bourbons have always been displayed, to find nothing but $100 bottles of vodka, though there do happen to be some $50 bottles on the lower shelf.

He continues to browse the store to find the whiskey aisle. He finally finds it, though the whiskey now shares space with rum and gin.

He recognizes a number of bottlings, though upon closer examination there are some changes he's not entirely comfortable with.

Makers, is still there in all its red waxed glory, though the proof has stayed the same at 90, it is now age stated, 36 months old.

WL Weller has a new label (again) and still has both 90 and 107 proof versions...bourbon whiskey (a blend)

It appears that the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection has been recently released as he notices George T Stagg Vanilla, William Larue Weller Cinnamon, and Eagle Rare Almond.

He continues down the aisle: Russels Reserve Honey; Knob Creek #100 9months old; Woodford Reserve Masters Collection, Now with more JIF!!!; Rittenhouse 45yo barrel dust (just add water); Frost 8/80 seems to have been reintroduced.

He finally purchases an old favorite, still unchanged, Very Old Barton 6yo 100.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

These days, it's hard for me to think 20 minutes ahead, let alone 20 years. I may be pushing up daisies by then, so rather than project what the whiskey world may look like in two decades time, perhaps it would be better for me to simply state my final wishes here and now so that there's no confusion for my family when my button is finally pushed:

Just freeze my head like they did with Ted Williams' noggin and stick it on an old bootle of Wild Turkey. Put a straw in my mouth and the remains of my bunker in front of me and hope for the best.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

While classifications of spirits will blur there will still be differentiation between the "classic" spirits that have some marketing cachet and the Bourbon isle will look remarkably similar to how it looked when he fell asleep.

There will however be bold new retro graphics on the labels with younger juice inside. There will be some new bottles with obviously humorous or ironic labels representing the surviving micros. He will see the word blend more often on labels.

The biggest difference will be the expanded ultra premium shelf. A lot of the labels he will recognize but also a few new micros. The bottles containing Bourbon who's label describes the mash recipe and yeast, age, source of barrel wood, size of barrel, degree of char, where aged and age acceleration technique used. It will remind him of the top shelf of todays Scotch section.

Option 2

Our sleepy friend goes over to his old haunt, the big mega liquor store, only to find that is now run as a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) store. He asks one of the farmhands running the place where he can go to get a bottle of whiskey. The farmhand takes him over to an aisle where there are several bottlings of whiskey, all made locally; corn, rye, bourbon, wheat and barley malt, all barrel proof, unfiltered, single barrel with ages ranging from 3-8 years old. He grabs a bottle of the 5yo rye and asks if any of the old brands are still available anywhere. He's told there's a place at 107 W Main, downtown Louisville that carries most everything.

After walking a couple blocks from where the BRT (bus rapid transit) drops him off (8664 seems to have been a success) he arrives in front of the old JTS Brown & Sons Distillery, where the building now wears a sign denoting it as The Bourbon Society Quart House.

Upon entry he is overwhelmed by the sheer number of bottles on display, hundreds, if not thousands of bottles. His mind boggles and he goes looking for someone to help.

In the back corner, he notices a guy with a long goatee cleaning a very dirty bicycle.

He goes over and asks if the gentleman happens to work here.

"If you can call it work"

Where did all these bottles come from, he asks.

All 49 states, plus the Republic of Texas, he is told.

When did people start distilling everywhere?

A long story is unfolded, how locally produced products caused the end of multinational corporations, nearly everything is produced locally for local consumption. The big producers were sold off piecemeal, Jim Beam is now a separate distiller from Old Grand Dad and from Old Crow. Diageo is long gone, with its distilleries around the world now all operating independently. Heck, even Budweiser is now a small regional specialty beer.

He tells the gentleman that he seems to have been away from whiskey for 20 years or so, but he'd like to get a bottle of his old favorite Van Winkle Lot "B".

Well, Preston just brought over some from the Old Fitzgerald Distillery the other day, though it's not quite the same as in the old days. Seems there's just not much of a market for 90 proof whiskey anymore, so it's now 107 and unfiltered. You'd be hard pressed to find anything under 100 proof these days. We still do have Maker's Mark Red Wax at 90, but the Gold Wax 101 is much more popular.

If you're interested in rye, we just got in some Old Overholt from Pennsylvania, it's 8yo and 112 proof.

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso

Timothy, I would like to use my 1000th post to ask:

Does the guy cleaning his bicycle happen to be you?
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    Timothy, I would like to use my 1000th post to ask:

Does the guy cleaning his bicycle happen to be you?
    It's actually not my bike, it belongs to my wife, Anne Hathaway.

I'm no Pappyophile

Novice

If things keep on the current track:

In 20 years you will go to your nearest federally owned liquor store for the only bourbon still available, "Government Blended Bourbon."

It will cost a little more than you expect since you will be required to buy an additional bottle for the unemployed homeless person outside.

Unfortunately, you woke up on a Sunday and due to the national blue laws, you can not drink alcohol on Sundays..... or anytime before 6pm.

You think...my, my...how things have changed.

Finally, Monday evening you crack open the plastic 150ml bottle only to find that this new bourbon has such a generic flavor profile that it is sure not to offend any of the proletariat.

Guru

I don't remember people drinking in alcohol in the movie Demolition Man.

Like eating meat and smoking, whiskey will probably be be illegal.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Hey very good, I was laughing out loud - well done Timothy and Dramiel - or paying obeisance to the king like Robert but enjoyed all the comments. Don't stop.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

And how about more fables? Who will take on 2060?

Gary