Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Kentucky Tavern, the Forgotten Wheater

Tim,
    Kentucky Tavern enjoyed a good reputation as a Glenmore product. United Distillers even received some complaints when they changed the whiskey. The old Yellowstone Distillery did make some fine bourbon as a matter of fact in the 1970's Yellowstone was Kentucky's favorite whiskey if you simply look at sales figures.

Mike Veach

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Good to see you back on the board, Mike. To finish that thought, pre-1993 KT was probably made either at Yellowstone in Louisville or, more likely, Glenmore in Owensboro (previously a Medley plant, I think). Bernheim was the Schenley/UDV plant.

Pre-1993 KT drinkers were also getting a bargain because for at least some period of time prior to the sale, they were bottling 10 year old whiskey as ordinary KT because they had too much old whiskey in inventory.

That was, as you indicate, not wheated but rye-recipe bourbon.

Guru

That was, as you indicate, not wheated but rye-recipe bourbon.
    All the better, then.

Tim

Connoisseur

Chuck,
    Kentucky Tavern would have been made in Louisville at the Yellowstone distillery. Buddy Thompson loved that distillery and the whiskey it made but it had fallen into such disrepair that it would cost a small fortune to start it up again. This is one of the factors that caused the Glenmore company to buy the Medley distillery and its Ezra Brooks brand. The real problem came in 1989 or 1990 when they knew they were running short on whiskey and they had to start distilling again. Buddy could not face the fact that Yellowstone was too expensive to start up and did not want to give the OK to start up Medley. He solved the problem by selling the whole company to United Distillers.

There was whiskey at Medley but that was to support Ezra Brooks. This extended the life of Kentucky Tavern as a rye recipe some months when U.D. sold Ezra Brooks to Heaven Hill (who sold it in turn to David Sherman).

Mike Veach

Enthusiast

Bobby,

I have made a statement before about Kentucky Tavern and I said then "Let's just leave it forgotten" and I will say it again. This is one bourbon that makes all the rest better. Let's just leave it forgotten - it's better that way.

Cheers,
    Marvin

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Marvin, I take your opinion seriously. You've convinced me!

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Did anybody taste the vintage Kentucky Tavern at the Gazebo. My taste buds may have been numb, but I thought it was pretty good. It was a bottled in bond version and I believe was Pre United Distillers. I know that Jeff poured some. Opinions?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I brought the KT to the gazebo and while it was BIB it wasn't vintage. I bought it a few days before in Mansfield, Ohio. It was made a stone's throw from the gazebo, at Barton.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Chuck,
    Thanks. At that point of the evening, samplings were pretty much "hey, I haven't tried that yet" and not too much "Hmm, nice color and bouquet". A hazard of having thirty or more bottles present on the buffet.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Many of those bottles have been described here, but not all. Can anyone give label details and taste notes for the Prohibition whiskeys? Were they outstanding, if so why?

Gary