Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Straight Rye Whiskey

My grandfather left me an unopened square bottle of Mount Vernon brand Straight Rye Whiskey. The label shows under supervision of the us gov. Distilled by national distillers 100 proof, Baltimore, Md. made in 1935 and bottled in spring 1940. Any info on how much it worth and the history on the bottle. I just want to make sure if itís something valuable I donít want to open it.

Guru

Re: Straight Rye Whiskey

I wouldn't open it.
    There are both collectors and connoisseurs that would love to have that one.
    But beware, you'll no doubt get some flack for coming here and asking about it in your first post.
    ovh

Guru

Wow, I'm surprised it took this long after the site was back up.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Trippah and Admin

It is worthless. Dump it out as it may have turned in to toxic waste by now.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by jl344 View Post
    My grandfather left me an unopened square bottle of Mount Vernon brand Straight Rye Whiskey. The label shows under supervision of the us gov. Distilled by national distillers 100 proof, Baltimore, Md. made in 1935 and bottled in spring 1940. Any info on how much it worth and the history on the bottle. I just want to make sure if itís something valuable I donít want to open it.
    It's only worth what someone will pay for it. If you want to sell it, you could throw it on ebay for a penny and let it go. Otherwise, drink it. It's straight rye of a long-lost variety.... If you decide to open it share it with some people that appreciate whiskey.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Connoisseur

$5,000......going once.....

Connoisseur

I did a quick Google Search and got plenty of hits on the Mount Vernon Straight Rye. There was even a bottle already on Ebay. Just type in Mount Vernon Straight Rye Whiskey and you'll be inundated with info.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Dramiel McHinson View Post
    I did a quick Google Search and got plenty of hits on the Mount Vernon Straight Rye. There was even a bottle already on Ebay. Just type in Mount Vernon Straight Rye Whiskey and you'll be inundated with info.
    I did some more checking and found prices for vintage Mount Vernon Straight Rye for $240 to $500 USD. If you plan to keep it or sell it I suggest you wrap it good in saran wrap and store it in a cabinet out of direct light and where the humidity stays between 40 and 60%. The market is better for this whiskey in Europe or the UK where collecting for value is well established.

BUT, you might just toast your grandfather and have a good glass of rare old whiskey yourself.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Thank you for all the help. After reading all the replys I think im just going to sit down with love ones give a toast to pa and enjoy a glass of old whiskey!

Guru

Thank you for all the help. After reading all the replys I think im just going to sit down with love ones give a toast to pa and enjoy a glass of old whiskey!
    Good idea.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog