Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: What Beer are you Drinking Spring 2010

It's hot & muggy here in Dixie, and I'm thoroughly enjoying my favorite German Weissbier---Weihenstephaner. I love the clove hints in this.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

i was just down in asheville and drank myself silly at all their microbreweries. i also went ahead and made a statewide tasting for myself by drinking all the states other microbrews. i think i have to detox for a week or so.

i did make sure to bring home some Sweetwater 420. a great pale ale thats not distributed this far north.

Virtuoso

The 420 seems to be the best-selling local beer; every place I've been with local beers has it on tap. I suspect that's got as much to do with the name as with the beer.

And it's a toned-down pale ale, not that there's anything wrong with that. For some reason I don't understand a lot of people don't like aggressively hopped beers.

Advanced Taster

I had a good few pints of Adnams Broadside over the weekend, But I doubt it makes its way over to your shores!
    The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable, we had to add whiskey. By diligent effort, I learned to like it.
    -- Winston Churchill

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Rutter View Post
    I had a good few pints of Adnams Broadside over the weekend, But I doubt it makes its way over to your shores!
    There was a time a few years ago that I could find Adnams Broadside and Adnams Suffolk Strong Ale (now known as The Bitter) at a few specialty shops, but sadly they both disappeared. Same goes for the entire line of Shepherd Neame products which I used to really enjoy. On the up side, Bateman's XXX Bitter and Nethergate's Old Growler have finally made it here, though with limited availability, so I've been stocking up on both before they disappear too. Now all I need is a packet of Twiglets and I'm all set!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    There was a time a few years ago that I could find Adnams Broadside and Adnams Suffolk Strong Ale (now known as The Bitter) at a few specialty shops, but sadly they both disappeared.
    That does surprise me! But as for the twiglets, you can keep them thanks, i'll stick to pork scratchings!
    The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable, we had to add whiskey. By diligent effort, I learned to like it.
    -- Winston Churchill

Connoisseur

Anyone tried Trailhead lager? It is an Ontario craft beer in the European style. Quite nice and refreshing.

Disciple

I had my 2 sons home for dinned and drinks yesterday and we did start with a fantastic beer tasting. First we had brewdog paradox smokehead witch is a 10% stout matured in an Islay barrel, then brewdog Tokyo an 18,3% stout matured in a bourbon barrel, then Mikkeller black 17,5% an stout that I have had in my basement for 2 years and finally Samuel Adams utopia. Although paradox is a very good beer it came out short in this company were all the others were amazing. Fanny thing was also that the Mikkeller did taste much better now than it did 2 years go. My boys ere overwhelmed of the powerful flavours and the oldest (23) one clamed that it was enough with a couple of drops utopia on the tongue.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Ah yes, Utopias .. a great beer. There are a few beers out there that have a higher ABV than Utopias, but what is interesting about Utopias is that it's the only beer at the level that reaches it's extremely high ABV by yeast that they are able to keep active at the level. Other brewers, BrewDog for example, freeze distillate to concentrate their alcohol. So, kudos to Sam Adams.

I'm currently working on a Bells Two Hearted Ale. A favorite of mine, a bit underwhelming this time around. I thought it just wasn't as fresh as I preferred, so I checked the packaging code and it's only a month old. Oh well.

Disciple

Bigfoot 2009 wile grilling outdoors yesterday and Brooklyn black chocolate stout with the soft chocolate cake for dessert. I really look forward for August 1when the government store relies the 2010 bigfoot. I save 1 2009 for the traditional side by side with new and former vintage.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey