Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What Beer are you Drinking Spring 2010

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    And, with that much alcohol, it's probably not going to be worse.

The oldest beer I've had was a probably twelve year old bottle of the Sam Adams Triple Bock, and it was fine. It's not your average beer, though.
    Did the Trip Bock taste like Soy Sauce? That beer is one of the biggest beer failures ever.
    The avatar is me as a little tyke.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Phischy View Post
    Did the Trip Bock taste like Soy Sauce? That beer is one of the biggest beer failures ever.
    I still have a few bottles of the SA Triple Bock left but can't bring myself to drink them due to the "soy sauce" factor. The last bottle I consumed was with a small group of friends, and to a person we all hated it. I'm an adventurous beer drinker but that beer simply mystifies me. What went wrong?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I still have a few bottles of the SA Triple Bock left but can't bring myself to drink them due to the "soy sauce" factor. The last bottle I consumed was with a small group of friends, and to a person we all hated it. I'm an adventurous beer drinker but that beer simply mystifies me. What went wrong?
    "What went wrong?"
    I am getting to the point where I can't drink any of these kinds of beer from a bottle.
    After I have had them "on draft" and fresh, the bottle always sucks or at least is a let down.
    ovh

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Dramiel McHinson View Post
    I just picked up some Kasteel Donke Belgian Ale. This ale is made in Van Honsebrouck, Belgium at 11% alcohol. After I got home I found, in very small print, the serving temperature, 54 degrees F and the bottling date which is 2/25/2009. Oh well, so much for fresh. I really like a dark beer and hope it hasn't gotten too stale after all this time.
    No Worries dude... The alochol amount is high enough that you can cellar that beer for several years just like wine. You will like that bottle to btw it is quite good. The bottle instructions are correct it does have much more flavor at a warmer than frig temp. This is not Bud Light! It does not have to be ICE cold to be drank. I keep mine in the basement frig but take them out and let them sit on the counter top for a while before consuming. Cheers bud
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I didn't get the soy sauce from it. It was very port-like, thick and sweet, just as it was back when it was released. There wasn't a lot of difference.

I've still got a bottle. Maybe I should open it.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    "What went wrong?"
    I am getting to the point where I can't drink any of these kinds of beer from a bottle.
    After I have had them "on draft" and fresh, the bottle always sucks or at least is a let down.
    Did you have any of the Sam Adams triple? Since it wasn't carbonated, I doubt anyone ever had it on tap.

There are a lot of Belgian beers, too, that improve with a little age.

The hoppy ales I like, for sure, are much better on tap. Bottling tends to deaden the floral nose of the finishing hops.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    I didn't get the soy sauce from it. It was very port-like, thick and sweet, just as it was back when it was released.
    "Port-like, thick and sweet" I would have enjoyed. But the bottles I bought back in 1997--pure soy sauce, even then. I'm guessing my bottles weren't cared for properly (i.e.--were exposed to heat or direct light, went from warm to cold to warm, etc.). I'm tellin' you, Craig, these were pure dogshit. I'm glad your experience has been much better.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Disciple

Post Re: What Beer are you Drinking Spring 2010

Last night it was Penn Gold Lager from Pittsburg's newly reopened Penn Brewing co and it is as good as their Beers have always been. The Original owner bought the brewery back as the group he sold it too when he retired was having the beers brewed for them by outsource The Lion in Wilksbarrie it was still real good but nothing like getting it from the Old Penn Brewery and I am sure people in Pittsburg are real happy to have a brewery operating in town again!
    2 weeks ago i has their Kaiser Pils wow it was good! I also got a case of Penn Dark a wonderful Dark Ale.
    Dave Z
    =================================================
    Beer its Not Just A Beverage beer Is Food

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dave ziegler View Post
    Last night it was Penn Gold Lager from Pittsburg's newly reopened Penn Brewing co and it is as good as their Beers have always been. The Original owner bought the brewery back as the group he sold it too when he retired was having the beers brewed for them by outsource The Lion in Wilksbarrie it was still real good but nothing like getting it from the Old Penn Brewery and I am sure people in Pittsburg are real happy to have a brewery operating in town again!
    2 weeks ago i has their Kaiser Pils wow it was good! I also got a case of Penn Dark a wonderful Dark Ale.
    Dave Z
    =================================================
    Beer its Not Just A Beverage beer Is Food
    That's good news Dave that the brewery is up and running again. Is that the only active brewery in Pittsburgh? If so, that amazes me, as the area has a long history of beer production (and consumption). I'll have to check out Penn Gold the next time I pass through on my way to NYC.

Guru

Enjoyed a Bakalar Lager from the Czech Republic last night. It's fairly hard to find even around here, despite our huge population of homegrown Czechs, but worth picking up if you come across it. The initial aroma could be a bit off-putting to some, as it comes across as "skunky" but that diminishes after a few moments and may simply be the by-product of the heavy dose of Zatec hops. Hop-heads will enjoy the bite found in this beer and the creaminess of the head lasts to the bottom of the glass, so I'd say it was $1.30 well spent for a pint of beer.