Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Re: What Beer are you Drinking Spring 2010

I've not tried any of the packaged shandy's Chuck so I'll look for that one. I enjoy a 50/50 mix of beer and ginger beer/ginger ale on hot days. I don't care for those made with soda's like Sprite. Lemonade works well too. I had many of these in Ireland a few years ago when they were experiencing a hot spell in May.

Randy

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

The original term is shandy-gaff, whose origins (the words themselves) I find mystifying.

I can dig the kind of mixture you mentioned, Randy, but I thought you preferred 11% ABV Imperial stout by the poolside of a Saturday afternoon...

Gary

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Grilled some filets on the grill for lunch, and washed it down with the remains of a Sierra Nevada "Southern Hemisphere" Harvest Fresh Hop Ale. An excellent combo. I expected more hoppiness than I got from this, but it was a very satisfying drink, nonetheless. A sixer of Bell's Oberon is on ice waiting for 5 o'clock somewhere.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I had that fresh hop beer recently and thought it was one of the best beers I ever had. It had this silky almost "creamsicle" taste, really good. I had read for years that you shouldn't use new hops, they are too harsh, they need curing for a least a month, etc. etc., all apparently wrong.

A lot of the old lore is buncum, I think. Maybe in bourbon too (I keed).

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I had that fresh hop beer recently and thought it was one of the best beers I ever had. It had this silky almost "creamsicle" taste, really good. I had read for years that you shouldn't use new hops, they are too harsh, they need curing for a least a month, etc. etc., all apparently wrong.

A lot of the old lore is buncum, I think. Maybe in bourbon too (I keed).

Gary
    I agree, Gary. When I wrote that I expected more hoppiness, it was that pungent harshness that I was expecting. Rather, it was very balanced and nice. I don't necessarily mind a hit me in the nose hopschmack, but all in all, this is a very nice brew.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

Enthusiast

Last night for dinner the wife and I went to Lefts Lucky Town in the village of Wawautosa. We have a real nice run of weather here as sat out on thier deck for the evening. They had a specail going on PBR Silos for a buck and being the frugal person that I am that is what I had. Pabst is a big name from the past that is surpising good on a hot day when it is very very cold along with a bar burger and fries.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I agree, Gary. When I wrote that I expected more hoppiness, it was that pungent harshness that I was expecting. Rather, it was very balanced and nice. I don't necessarily mind a hit me in the nose hopschmack, but all in all, this is a very nice brew.
    So the semi-fresh slightly dried southern hemisphere version is good? I really like the regular Harvest. I have held in my hand several times but not purchased the bottled Chico Estate, because $10 would buy two of the regular with change left over. I have had the Chico Estate on tap.

Oh, what the heck. I'll go buy a bottle of the off-season Australian hop version.

Enthusiast

Picked up a six of Sierra Nevada's Torpedo IPA. After Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA this may be my next favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    So the semi-fresh slightly dried southern hemisphere version is good? I really like the regular Harvest. I have held in my hand several times but not purchased the bottled Chico Estate, because $10 would buy two of the regular with change left over. I have had the Chico Estate on tap.

Oh, what the heck. I'll go buy a bottle of the off-season Australian hop version.
    Yes, I did enjoy it. But, not a big bang of hops, as I was expecting. A pleasant drink, though.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    So the semi-fresh slightly dried southern hemisphere version is good?... I'll go buy a bottle of the off-season Australian hop version.
    The beer is not "off-season" (depending on what you mean by "off-season" in this case, I guess)- it just came out, since the Southern Hemisphere growers harvests their hops late February-early April. The bottles I bought ($5.79@) 2 weeks ago were bottled on April 23, 2010.

Oh, and those are New Zealand hops, not Australian...