Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Guru

Re: What Beer are you Drinking Spring 2010

Burning hot here in Chicago the last few days. Saturday night was all about Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Bell's Oberon. Sunday afternoon we went with Newcastle Summer Ale which is new to our market. Very, very nice beer. As the heat increased throughout the day (it was pushing 95 with high humidity) we needed something light and quenching, so an assortment of Mexican beers hit the picnic table--Pacifico, Tecate, Modelo Especiale and Dos Equis. Great beer weekend!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Novice

Talking Re: What Beer are you Drinking Spring 2010

Bell's Two Hearted ....is my favorite.

So far this summer our frig has had the pleasure of housing:

Bell's varieties (bottles, mini kegs)
    He'BREW
    Sierra Nevada SummerFest

Currently, the frig is empty of beer I'm on my way to Kahn's......

Enthusiast

For this Memorial Day Weekend I have had New Glarus Spotted Cow, and New Castle Brown Ale at a party I went to yesterday. Today I fired up the Weber and grilled some steaks with Mushrooms and onion. I went into 2 different directions. First up was a Kapuziner Schwarz Weizen Bavarian Black Wheat ale. It was a creamy-roasty beer with a little ripe banana sweetness. This beer has a nice frothy tan head and it looks like a stout. Very nice beer. I will be buying some more in the future. With dinner I switched over to a New Belgium Ranger IPA. This is another tasty beer and would be perfect with some chicken curry. Is it just me or do IPA's just go perfectly with Char grilled food. It has a real nice Hoppy taste that I have grown to love. I am also very pleased with all of the the offerings I have had from this brewer. Nice citrus notes with a lace that clings to the glass with each sip. yummy stuff.

Thanks to those that have served our military; especially those the gave it all, We salute you!
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Disciple

SN torpedo with a hot chilli for dinner.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by jesskidden View Post
    The beer is not "off-season" (depending on what you mean by "off-season" in this case, I guess)- it just came out, since the Southern Hemisphere growers harvests their hops late February-early April. The bottles I bought ($5.79@) 2 weeks ago were bottled on April 23, 2010.

Oh, and those are New Zealand hops, not Australian...
    It's off-season for North America, and they did it so they could sell a Harvest Ale in the spring. The hops aren't fresh, as we usually consider them. It seems more of a marketing thing than the other beers.

Advanced Taster

Enjoying a Stone Ruination IPA after a real crappy day at work. Ahhhhhhh...that's better.

Advanced Taster

I just picked up a couple of bottles of Dogfish Head Squall IPA. Unfiltered 90 minute IPA that comes in 750ml bottles. 9% a.b.v. so it is pretty strong stuff (for beer). Great hops aroma and finish. If you like your beer hoppy this is good stuff.

Virtuoso

Howdy All:

I hope you are well.

Now that the warmer weather is here my choice is Bell's Oberon, if you get the chance it is a great summer beer.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by aea6574 View Post

Now that the warmer weather is here my choice is Bell's Oberon, if you get the chance it is a great summer beer.
    I hope it is better than last years.
    They watered it down, it seems that the boys over in K-Zoo are going after the mainstream market, ya know, less taste more sales.
    It was real good when it was Solsun.
    ovh

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    I hope it is better than last years.
    They watered it down, it seems that the boys over in K-Zoo are going after the mainstream market, ya know, less taste more sales.
    It was real good when it was Solsun.
    I haven't had it in a few years, so I'm not sure.

I remember meeting Larry Bell about twenty years ago, when they were just starting to export to other states and he was making the rounds. It was still the Kalamazoo Brewing Company back then.

On the other hand, the two beers of his I like the most, Two-Hearted and Hopslam, weren't made back then, so maybe I like the company better now.