Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 4/10: 2009 Four Roses Mariage

Gonna switch gears a little bit this time around. Thanks to a suggestion from a fellow member, 2009 Four Roses Mariage is our BOTM for April 2010. I know this bourbon isn't distributed as widely as the last couple of BOTM's, but I'd like to try and cover all areas of the spectrum if possible. Cheers, and happy posting. Joe

My two cents, for what it's worth. Great nose! Spice with a little candy/floral? Taste, well..... the higher proof definitely gives it a punch, but not to the point that it's too much to handle. Definitely a tummy warmer though. Very spicy, cinnamon, with a little cloves and pepper. To me the finish is very interesting. Reminds me of Big Red or Dentyne gum. I have noticed the same thing in a couple of other bourbons, but not nearly as much as with the 09 Mariage.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Disciple

Re: BOTM 4/10: 2009 Four Roses Mariage

Nice post Joe...I think you accurately described the 09 Mariage. I picked up a number of bottles of this a couple weeks ago and I'm looking forward to getting into them a little deeper. Thanks for keeping this going Joe. I'll have a pour of this over the next couple days and post my thoughts.
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Virtuoso

I keep hearing imperial red hots, or cinnamon red hots, and I have to agree. It's a toasty and cinnamony whiskey!
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Enthusiast

I am going to pick up a bottle this weekend and give it a try. The tasting notes are intriguing. This will give me a good chance to try out the old GC glass, again.

Guru

Good choice! And good notes too.

I am on record with the opinion elsewhere, but let me reiterate, 2009 MARIAGE IS THE GREATEST WHISKEY I HAVE EVER TASTED.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Good choice! And good notes too.

I am on record with the opinion elsewhere, but let me reiterate, 2009 MARIAGE IS THE GREATEST WHISKEY I HAVE EVER TASTED.
    While I don't know that I would go quite as far as Josh has it's certainly a fantastic pour and in my top 10! If you haven't had the opportunity to try this bottling from Four Roses pick up a bottle...be prepaired to pay $65-$80 for this premium bottling though!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    While I don't know that I would go quite as far as Josh has it's certainly a fantastic pour and in my top 10! If you haven't had the opportunity to try this bottling from Four Roses pick up a bottle...be prepaired to pay $65-$80 for this premium bottling though!
    Probably just as well that's it's not available here, given that I'll be writing a couple of large checks on the 15th.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    2009 MARIAGE IS THE GREATEST WHISKEY I HAVE EVER TASTED.
    If it ain't then it's damn close.
    I have given it Holy Grail status along with '96 Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, Julio's W L Weller Centennial and of course Four Roses Jim Rutledge 40th Anniversary.
    That's 2 HG's for 4R.
    ovh

Guru

I agree... simply one of the best bourbons I have ever tasted. Great depth and maturity without too much char and oak.

Makes me excited for the 2010 Mariage.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post

Makes me excited for the 2010 Mariage.
    Let's not forget the '08 Mariage, floral heaven.
    ovh