Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: BOTM 4/10: 2009 Four Roses Mariage

Tried some belonging to a friend a while back. I was caught off guard by the cinnamon red hot flavor. Very special indeed.... Will pick up one of my own soon.
    Jeff...

I can learn to resist anything but temptation.

Disciple

I'm quite enamored with this juice. I was able to do a side by side with the 08 and I prefer the 09 by alot. Both bottles had some air and the 09 was just creamy goodness.

I've been hoping for a windfall so I could stash some of this. So tasty.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Disciple

I too love the 09 FR Mariage...it's one of my favorite pours!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Disciple

Reading all of these posts about FR Mariage makes me want to have some...I definitely know what will be on the menu for tonight!
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Novice

First time posts, and figured it should be about the bourbon I was researching when I found this site.

Got a bottle of it here in Indy (and must go get another, now, and "bunker" it as y'all say).

This bourbon in only two pours has easily become one of my favorite.

I love the nose with taffy, butterscotch, and peppery goodness. Unlike many others with such high %, even in a snifter there is no overwhelming presence of an alcohol smell/burn in the nose. In a word, inviting.

The taste at first is of caramel and pepper, but then I pick up leather and pipe tobacco. This is a perfect bourbon for early winter when the temps start to drop and the leaves have abandoned their trees, but there is no snow cover... the grass is brown the trees are bare and the world is preparing to hibernate in a blanket of white.

The finish is exactly as others have said - cinnamon. I love the way this rounds out at the end (starting with the sweet, moving to the robust, ending with the spicy)... it is what bourbon should be. Delicious. Seductive.

My store in Indy has two bottles left - probably will go pick one up later this week (and the second if my fear of this bottling disappearing before my eyes)... While marriage lasts forever, mariage does not.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by TexIN View Post
    First time posts, and figured it should be about the bourbon I was researching when I found this site.

Got a bottle of it here in Indy (and must go get another, now, and "bunker" it as y'all say).

This bourbon in only two pours has easily become one of my favorite.

I love the nose with taffy, butterscotch, and peppery goodness. Unlike many others with such high %, even in a snifter there is no overwhelming presence of an alcohol smell/burn in the nose. In a word, inviting.

The taste at first is of caramel and pepper, but then I pick up leather and pipe tobacco. This is a perfect bourbon for early winter when the temps start to drop and the leaves have abandoned their trees, but there is no snow cover... the grass is brown the trees are bare and the world is preparing to hibernate in a blanket of white.

The finish is exactly as others have said - cinnamon. I love the way this rounds out at the end (starting with the sweet, moving to the robust, ending with the spicy)... it is what bourbon should be. Delicious. Seductive.

My store in Indy has two bottles left - probably will go pick one up later this week (and the second if my fear of this bottling disappearing before my eyes)... While marriage lasts forever, mariage does not.

Great first post, Tex.... I think you nailed it.
    FWIW,I believe Indy has quite a few of the Mariage left on the shelves. Just look about.
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Guru

Hey TexIn, if you want something truly unique track down a bottle of the '08 Mariage, like distilled rose petals.
    ovh

Novice

Thanks for the suggestion, Oscar. I understand they have discontinued the Mariage series (or rather re-named it?)... can someone fill me in on this?

If any of you are in Indy or ever passing through, head directly to Vine and Table for your shopping needs (north side of town, just in one of the suburbs). Their staff is exceptional, their knowledge unmatched (close, though, is Kahn's). I went to Vine and Table and dropped some coin on a few bottles I wanted to store away and also some great food selections at their store. Wife and I had a nice evening in after putting the boy to bed last weekend with some wine, cheese, bourbon, desert, and a fresh loaf of sourdough she made.

But, back to Vine and Table.. shopping there is an experience, not an excursion. Wish I lived less than 45 minutes away so I could stop in more often*

Also about the '09 Mariage, I tried it for the first time this week in a single-malt glass (had been using a pinot noir glass before), and I was shocked how different it tasted - not better, not worse, just different. It really opened up the front and middle of the palate, while still leaving the enjoyable big-red gum finish. As I become more enamored with the world of bourbon, it occurs to me now maybe to do a tasting of 2 or 3 bourbons but in different glasses, taking it one bourbon at a time while trying a few glasses - be it a bourbon glass, single-malt, glencairn, etc.

*On second thought, it might be better for my wallet to not live any closer than I do now.

Guru

I understand they have discontinued the Mariage series (or rather re-named it?)... can someone fill me in on this?
    I think it was basically marketing.
    They release a Limited Edition of the Single Barrel in the Spring and now they'll be doing an Autumn Limited Edition of the Small Batch.
    ovh

Guru

If any of you are in Indy or ever passing through, head directly to Vine and Table for your shopping needs (north side of town, just in one of the suburbs). Their staff is exceptional, their knowledge unmatched (close, though, is Kahn's). I went to Vine and Table and dropped some coin on a few bottles I wanted to store away and also some great food selections at their store. Wife and I had a nice evening in after putting the boy to bed last weekend with some wine, cheese, bourbon, desert, and a fresh loaf of sourdough she made.

But, back to Vine and Table.. shopping there is an experience, not an excursion. Wish I lived less than 45 minutes away so I could stop in more often*

*On second thought, it might be better for my wallet to not live any closer than I do now.
    V & T is very, very nice and shopping there really is a great experience. Last time I was there, though, their their prices seemed to be quite a bit higher than at Kahn's. Did you find that to be the case when you were there TexIn?
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog