Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Angel's Envy Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by shoshani View Post
    He may not be able to tell us. Sometimes these deals are bound by confidentiality agreements; however, I myself would surmise that the startup juice is probably Brown-Forman distillate from Early Times, distilled and aged before Mr. Henderson retired.

My only reason for speculating thus is because Lincoln Henderson is one of those distillers whose name is associated with a specific product's flavor and style. His name on the bottle almost silently screams the Old Forester mashbill, although the bottle design seems to suggest the lighter Woodford style flavor profile - especially at 90 proof.

Either way, this promises to be an outstanding bourbon. I get the impression that there will be some experimentation in the works, so we may see a whole range of mashbills, bottling proofs, finishes and whatnot.
    I'm looking forward to this launch with 'bated breath.
    Well a whiskey from Brown Forman during the Henderson era sound interesting Michael. I still got 2 early (one is batch 1) Woodford from his era in the bunker and I do like those better than the current.
    That said I still want to know the source for sure. I know that these deals are bound by confidentiality agreements sometimes, but there is also sometimes an ill wiliness in general to put out accurate information on the labels. A good example is BIB that has the dsp number on the label by law in USA, but not on export bottles.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Guru

Does B-F do a lot of bulk or contract work?

Assuming he's not just buying bulk whiskey and vatting it, I would think that BT's experiemental still would be the prime suspect, his B-F connections notwithstanding.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Wasn't it mentioned earlier that the first year or so of releases will be what B-F uses as Early Times.
    ovh

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by shoshani View Post
    He may not be able to tell us. Sometimes these deals are bound by confidentiality agreements; however, I myself would surmise that the startup juice is probably Brown-Forman distillate from Early Times, distilled and aged before Mr. Henderson retired.

My only reason for speculating thus is because Lincoln Henderson is one of those distillers whose name is associated with a specific product's flavor and style. His name on the bottle almost silently screams the Old Forester mashbill, although the bottle design seems to suggest the lighter Woodford style flavor profile - especially at 90 proof.
    That was Shoshani's theory, O.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

There are 3 possible places that it could have been distilled, Louisvillle, Versailles or Lynchburg, neither site does much for me.
    Has the age of this bourbon been reported?
    ovh

Enthusiast

John Hansell posted a blurb about Angel's Envy on his blog as well. Apparently they are going to finish SOME of the first expression in sherry and port casks.

I'm excited for the release. Especially because Wes says, "You will note that we have framed our release as the “First Expression” of Angel’s Envy. This is a very deliberate phrase we have chosen to put everyone on notice that we intend to exercise artistic license with this brand, within reasonable parameters. We believe that the true bourbon lover is able to embrace the nuances between “Expressions”, and believe that it is not necessary to shell out $80.00 a bottle for special releases, when we can do these things within the confines of our core brand."

Should be interesting.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    That was Shoshani's theory, O.
    But I was thinking more Old Forester than Early Times. Confusing, because Early Times is the actual name of the distillery where both are produced, but Old Forester has far and away the mashbill most associated with Lincoln Henderson in the minds of drinkers who also read books about bourbon.

Connoisseur

Lincoln announced at the ADI meeting that Brown-Forman announced that as of that day he is no longer "Distiller Emeritus" at Woodford Reserve. I can assure you that Brown-Forman did not know anything about his plans until they read about them in the paper. I know where the first whiskey came from but will not say because it was told in good faith I would not repeat it, but the point is it is whiskey Lincoln and Wes think is very good. I have confidence in Lincoln's taste in whiskey and that it will be good whiskey. I also suspect and actually hope, that the next expression comes from a different source altogether. I hope "Angel's Envy" touches on a lot of different flavor profiles before they get their own product in the bottle.

Mike Veach

Apprentice

Mike is on the right track...entirely....
    Wes Henderson

Virtuoso

According to the Angel's Envy website, this product is set to be released April 2011.

From what I have read, I don't think this will be an everyday pour, but I sure am excited to give it a try.

I hear there is a well produced video out there of an interview with Wes Henderson. Thought you all might find it interesting:

http://player.vimeo.com/video/21217573
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.