Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Re: Angel's Envy Bourbon

Friends,

Thought I would take a minute to bring up to speed on Angel's Envy...

We are set to hit the shelves in Kentucky by April 1st, followed the next week by Texas, Illinois and PA, depending on how many cases we can bottle per day.

This past week has been a real challenge as we are doing the final blends for bottling. We have opted not to chill filter in order to maintain as much integrity of the raw product as possible. Dad and I have been going back and forth (sometimes enthusiastically) about the small amount of carbon treatment we are using to prevent chill flock. In my test samples (my freezer is filled with them), I have yet to get any flock of our samples proof at 86.6, so I am an avocate of no carbon treatment. On the other hand, Lincoln insists that we do a small amount....so you can guess what we have done per the expert.

On the most recent blend, we used 2.5 oz of activated carbon per 100 proof gallons. We experienced a small loss of color, but the taste remained superior. The marketer in me says the darker the better, so Dad and I have compromised with 1 oz activated carbon per 100 proof gallons, which is very light treatment (Woodford uses 6 oz, I believe). At the end of the day, it is what it is, and we have something really cool no matter where we end up.

Will update more this next week as we blend and bottle, and will answer questions when I have time.

Cheers to all, and thanks for your kind support and encouragement.

Wes
    Wes Henderson

Virtuoso

Wes,

I can't express enough just how refreshing it is to read your comments here. It is great to see someone in the industry be so open about the intricate details that go into making sure the final product is the best it can be. Even when producers are open and honest, you very rarely hear them admit there was any discussion about how things could be done. Having gone through this process several times before, I know just how much time and thought goes into even the smallest details.

It is obvious this is a labor of love for you all, and I look forward to trying something I know you have put your heart and soul into. I wish you all the luck!

-bk
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Connoisseur

I would worry about the April 1 date being an April Fool joke, but since I'm going to get mine from Illinois I'm going to have to wait a few more days so it wouldn't matter.

I've been waiting for this release ever since tasting your product at NYC WhiskyFest. As a fan of finished scotches, it was great to taste bourbon that had a well integrated finish. Hopefully it will be at Binny's by WhiskyFest so I can finally get my hands on it.

Tom

Apprentice

We have a launch event with Binny's on 4/13, so we will be in the stores by then.

Hope to see you at Whiskeyfest!
    Wes Henderson

Enthusiast

I am ecstatic that it will be available in Pennsylvania. I am also amazed. The PALCB is not known for getting and stocking good bourbon. I look forward to tasting it.

Quote Originally Posted by conecuhridge View Post
    This past week has been a real challenge as we are doing the final blends for bottling. We have opted not to chill filter in order to maintain as much integrity of the raw product as possible. Dad and I have been going back and forth (sometimes enthusiastically) about the small amount of carbon treatment we are using to prevent chill flock. In my test samples (my freezer is filled with them), I have yet to get any flock of our samples proof at 86.6, so I am an avocate of no carbon treatment. On the other hand, Lincoln insists that we do a small amount....so you can guess what we have done per the expert.

On the most recent blend, we used 2.5 oz of activated carbon per 100 proof gallons. We experienced a small loss of color, but the taste remained superior. The marketer in me says the darker the better, so Dad and I have compromised with 1 oz activated carbon per 100 proof gallons, which is very light treatment (Woodford uses 6 oz, I believe). At the end of the day, it is what it is, and we have something really cool no matter where we end up.
    Wes, I just want to confirm the flock issue is merely an aesthetic one correct? Wouldn't damage the whiskey in any way? If that is true, which I believe I had heard was, I wouldn't worry about it and would leave it as natural as possible. Either way I am looking forward to seeing the actual bottle and tasting the product.

Thanks for coming around and sharing your info with us!
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    Wes,

I can't express enough just how refreshing it is to read your comments here. It is great to see someone in the industry be so open about the intricate details that go into making sure the final product is the best it can be. Even when producers are open and honest, you very rarely hear them admit there was any discussion about how things could be done. Having gone through this process several times before, I know just how much time and thought goes into even the smallest details.

It is obvious this is a labor of love for you all, and I look forward to trying something I know you have put your heart and soul into. I wish you all the luck!

-bk
    Amen and not that they will need it but this forthrightness certainly contributes to me being a guaranteed purchaser.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Connoisseur

What really kills me is that it will probably NEVER be available in South Carolina. And I can't imagine getting to one of the states that have it soon. I was in Texas last month but won't be going back until next Feb.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by conecuhridge View Post
    Wes, thanks very much for the great level of detail here! It's very interesting to learn more about the process. As a newbie, I hope you'll pardon me for asking this: is the "flock" to which you refer flocculation of ethyl and alkyl esters—the sort of haze that the (villainous) method of chill filtering was designed to deal with? If so, I hadn't realized that carbon filtering does the same trick.
    "Good" may be subjective, but that doesn't mean it's arbitrary.

Guru

Hey Wes, thanks for dropping by and sharing some details, we appreciate that sort of thing.