Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Re: Angel's Envy Bourbon

Thanks for the opportunity to clarify.

I am talking about the addition of small amounts of activated carbon to the blend at bottling proof. This method seems to be less abrasive than chill filtration. The blend is then run through a plate and frame filter to remove the activated carbon and larger particulate.

The preview sample you received was a pre-production hand blend, and was not treated with activated carbon. Since we are on the borderline for floc at 86.6 proof, a decision was made to do some light activated carbon treatment. Candidly, I am much happier with the raw character of the preview samples, hence we have made the decision to eliminate the carbon treatment and go bare-backed. The blend will be filtered for particulate.

This is the type of constructive dialogue I envisioned when making it a part of our business plan to embrace expressions and be open to evolution of the brand based upon experimentation and feedback.
    Wes Henderson

Guru

Wes this is the type of constructive dialogue that will gain you customers. I don't mind paying for a special whisky if the producer will let me know why it is special.

Apprentice

Things will really get fun when we have our own facility. Have narrowed down to three properties in metro Louisville and the surrounding area. Time now to do the no-pants-dance with the local governments on incentives...
    Wes Henderson

Guru

I expect we could get a good number of SB members to sign a petition if that would be helpful.

Apprentice

Much appreciated and I will keep everyone posted. They are primarily concerned with tourism dollars from visits, sales tax revenue generated and jobs created, so we are now in the midst of these projections.

I think they see the clear benefit of a distillery open to the public in the downtown Louisville area, and so far everyone has been very receptive.

WH
    Wes Henderson

Guru

You build it Wes, we will come.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Thanks, Wes,

I recently heard about this technique in the context of another distillery and was unfamiliar with it. Thanks for schooling me.

Apprentice

Wes,
    I would be VERY appreciative of a Downtown Louisville Distillery that could be visited when in town. I'm in Owensboro and it's a really long drive to the other distilleries. However, Louisville is only an hour and a half away. Can't wait to visit and more importantly, try your new bourbon!
    Duke
    My Ky Bourbon Trail...
    Maker's Mark (Awesome renovation!)
    Buffalo Trace
    Woodford Reserve (Beautiful!)
    Wild Turkey
    Jim Beam
    Four Roses
    Heaven Hill

Disciple

Hi Wes,
    Thanks so much for the information. Looking forward to meeting you in Chicago.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Wes this is the type of constructive dialogue that will gain you customers. I don't mind paying for a special whisky if the producer will let me know why it is special.
    Definitely! I'm one of them (well, I will be if you get any Minnesota distribution).

Good luck!

Mike