Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster
    Chico, California (Home of Sierra Nevada Beer)

Cheap Bourbon Recommendations?

Greetings and salutations: I looked where I could and the only thread I found was a couple of years old, not sure if it is still very useful. Anyway, I would greatly appreciate tips on inexpensive but decent bourbons. For instance, I like Old Grandad which we can get on sale around here for about $8 to $9 per bottle. I would go up in price from that, but just to give you an idea. Oh, and would it be available in California?

Thanks.

Connoisseur

Re: Cheap Bourbon Recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Enabler View Post
    Greetings and salutations: I looked where I could and the only thread I found was a couple of years old, not sure if it is still very useful. Anyway, I would greatly appreciate tips on inexpensive but decent bourbons. For instance, I like Old Grandad which we can get on sale around here for about $8 to $9 per bottle. I would go up in price from that, but just to give you an idea. Oh, and would it be available in California?

Thanks.
    Good Evening Enabler. Below is a list of whiskey that is generally inexpensive and decent pours in their shelf category. (no particular order and not all are bourbon)

Very Old Barton
    Ezra Brooks
    Old Charter
    Seagrams 7 Crown
    Evan Williams
    Jim Beam
    Jim Beam Rye
    Old Overholt Rye
    George Dickel
    Early Times
    Ancient Age
    Elijah Craig

There are many options in the $10 to $25 range. The best advice I can give is your enjoyment will vary depending on what you personally like in a whiskey. If you like Old Grandad maybe other Beam products will also appeal to you. If you aren't sure you'll like something, try buying a 50ml bottle or the 200 to 325ml bottles. That way if you decide you don't like it then you haven't wasted much money or whiskey.

Having a drink in your favorite restuarant or watering hole isn't cheaper but you can decide with that one drink whether you want to buy your own bottle.

Finally, if you do buy a bottle and you aren't fond of the taste use it for cooking. We have several recipes on the SB.com and most have been vetted by experts
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Taster
    Chico, California (Home of Sierra Nevada Beer)

Thank you. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Advanced Taster

Finally, if you do buy a bottle and you aren't fond of the taste use it for cooking.

Actually, a pretty good thread for those of us who are financially challenged when it comes to what my daughter calls "Opening the wallet and letting the moths fly out!"

Thanks to both.

Guru

Cool Re: Cheap Bourbon Recommendations?

My favorite "cheap" bourbon over the past few years has been Old Grand Dad 86-proof.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Disciple

If you're drinking it neat, as one should, you really need to spend at least $20 a bottle, since anything under that price includes lots of tails. At least, that's what I taste and smell in that category.

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    If you're drinking it neat, as one should, you really need to spend at least $20 a bottle, since anything under that price includes lots of tails. At least, that's what I taste and smell in that category.
    I'm looking at a number of sub $20.00 bottles in my cabinet that are drinkable and highly enjoyable neat.

No established member here would intentionally give anyone a bum steer when it comes to bottles that are high on the quality to cost ratio.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    No established member here would intentionally give anyone a bum steer when it comes to bottles that are high on the quality to cost ratio.
    There's a newish product from Beam called Red Stag that is a great value pour. I highly recommend it!

But seriously folks, check out the recommendations on member's profiles. Mine are divided into value and fancy sections.
    Last edited by Josh; 04-29-2010 at 06:46.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Absolutely not a true statement. McHinson's list is good with the Ezra B, Evan W, and Very Old Barton being sub $15 bottles. I'll add these sub $15 bottles also:

Weller 7r Special Reserve
    Heaven Hill 6r Bonded
    Evan Williams 1783
    Tom Moore BIB (where available)

Advanced Taster

Picked up a couple pints of Charter 101 for $4.99ea. I don't hate it.. Well worth the price me thinks.
    Jeff...

I can learn to resist anything but temptation.