Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Taster

Re: Cheap Bourbon Recommendations?

Another way to go is younger members of the same family. Benchmark is a good bet if you like Buffalo Trace. It seems a bit less complex and has more bite, but the family resemblance is there.

The reasonably priced 1.75 liter bottles in my cabinet are Evan Williams and Very Old Barton.

Ancient Ancient Age is reasonably priced, but in Ohio we can only get 10 Star not 10 Year.

Guru

I'll be the echo here: as others have stated, there are plenty of quality bourbons that are excellent when consumed neat that fall under the $20 price range. (In fact, a few fall under the $15 mark and deliver pure enjoyment. When I'm drinking Very Old Barton BIB I hold my head up high and never feel as if I've compromised on quality.) I also like OGD 86, current bottlings of Beam Black, Old Forester Signature, Old Weller Antique, Four Roses Yellow, Ancient Ancient Age and many others. Like I said, you can look knee high on the shelf and lower and still get kick-ass whiskey. Try 'em all and decide for yourself.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Advanced Taster

Try 'em all and decide for yourself.
    That's a hell of an idea!

Connoisseur

J.T.S. Brown, tasty and cheap.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Try 'em all and decide for yourself.
    I'd love to BUT, and I don't know about where you live, but around here most stores only carry the bottom shelf brands in 1.75 liter size. I guess they feel those customers are only interested in value, so quantity sells. That's way too much whiskey for me to buy just to "try" another brand. That's why I've never tried JTS Brown, for example. That's how I used to decide how cheap is too cheap to be any good. Of course, I've been on SB.com long enough to know that t'aint necessarily so.

Do others have trouble finding bargain brands in smaller sizes?

-Matt

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by matthew0715 View Post
    I'd love to BUT, and I don't know about where you live, but around here most stores only carry the bottom shelf brands in 1.75 liter size. I guess they feel those customers are only interested in value, so quantity sells. That's way too much whiskey for me to buy just to "try" another brand. That's why I've never tried JTS Brown, for example. That's how I used to decide how cheap is too cheap to be any good. Of course, I've been on SB.com long enough to know that t'aint necessarily so.

Do others have trouble finding bargain brands in smaller sizes?

-Matt
    Hmm. That's an interesting dilemma, Matt. Around here (Chicagoland) I'm able to get my cheaper stuff in standard 750ml bottles, so if I'm not wild about something I can always invite a few friends over and we'll knock off the rest to make space on the bar. Keep in mind that there are some bottom shelfers that absolutely suck, in my view, and I wouldn't buy them no matter how cheap they were, though others here may like the very brands I can't stand. As a general rule of thumb, most of the less expensive bottled-in-bond bourbons I've bought have been quite good, having enough character to make them worthwhile. But if you're stuck with 1.75's it does make it riskier. Can you tell me what's available in 750's? Do you have any friends who might want to split a 1.75 with you?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Taster
    Chico, California (Home of Sierra Nevada Beer)

We have kind of that problem up here in Chico which is a relatively small town in Northern California. Stores have the cheap stuff in the big bottles, but I am going to hunt around some of the mom and pop stores. If I take a field trip to the Bay Area I can get to stores that have much much better selections. Also, I checked and there is a BevMo about 100 miles away. Road Trip!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Hmm. That's an interesting dilemma, Matt. Around here (Chicagoland) I'm able to get my cheaper stuff in standard 750ml bottles, so if I'm not wild about something I can always invite a few friends over and we'll knock off the rest to make space on the bar. Keep in mind that there are some bottom shelfers that absolutely suck, in my view, and I wouldn't buy them no matter how cheap they were, though others here may like the very brands I can't stand. As a general rule of thumb, most of the less expensive bottled-in-bond bourbons I've bought have been quite good, having enough character to make them worthwhile. But if you're stuck with 1.75's it does make it riskier. Can you tell me what's available in 750's? Do you have any friends who might want to split a 1.75 with you?
    Actually, today I saw VG 80pf (not 90/the Fox), Old Crow, and Ten High (Bourbon Whiskey, a blend) in 1.75l only, at store #1. Other 1.75 bottles were just blended whiskey or Canadian. FWIW, I picked up Old Overholt Rye for $15, only sold in 1 liter bottles. So far it's good with diet ginger ale.

At store #2, I also saw Old Crow Reserve and Heaven Hill black label (86pf - didn't this used to have an age statement?) only in 1.75, but I know I've seen these in 750ml size elsewhere. I grabbed an OWA 7/107 for $22 since I know they've gone to NAS and a new bottle design.

-Matt

Buffalo Trace is a fine whiskey for less than $30/quart

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    If you're drinking it neat, as one should, you really need to spend at least $20 a bottle, since anything under that price includes lots of tails. At least, that's what I taste and smell in that category.

Most of the real cheapies, even the ones you wouldn't drink neat, started life out as the same distilate as the more expensive brands. Age, as the say takes out those "hog tracks".
    Last edited by ILLfarmboy; 05-02-2010 at 11:12.