Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Guru

Re: Cheap Bourbon Recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by matthew0715 View Post
    Actually, today I saw VG 80pf (not 90/the Fox), Old Crow, and Ten High (Bourbon Whiskey, a blend) in 1.75l only, at store #1. Other 1.75 bottles were just blended whiskey or Canadian. FWIW, I picked up Old Overholt Rye for $15, only sold in 1 liter bottles. So far it's good with diet ginger ale.

At store #2, I also saw Old Crow Reserve and Heaven Hill black label (86pf - didn't this used to have an age statement?) only in 1.75, but I know I've seen these in 750ml size elsewhere. I grabbed an OWA 7/107 for $22 since I know they've gone to NAS and a new bottle design.

-Matt
    Good pick-ups on the Old Overholt and (especially) OWA 7/107 which is one of my favorites. I've never done cartwheels over Old Crow, Ten High and Heaven Hill black label and probably wouldn't pick those up even in 750ml bottles if they were available, but that's just me. Others would no doubt disagree. (My last bottle of Heaven Hill Ultra Deluxe was actually quite tasty but it went like a flash in an all-night poker game, so my recollection of it is a bit fuzzy.) Most of the cheaper blends are crap and should be avoided. Just keep hunting and you'll find some excellent quality inexpensive whiskey out there before too long.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

I was hoping there was a thread on here about cheap bourbons. My finances currently prevent me from getting lots of good stuff so I've been sampling lots of the cheapies. I really like Cabin Still, which hasn't been mentioned on here yet. I am also a big fan of Old Heaven Hill BIB, Old Grand Dad BIB, and Early Times. Rittenhouse Rye BIB is really good stuff too.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Advanced Taster

Old Heaven Hill 100 proof is not all that bad. Actually, I kind of like it. In my opinion, a fairly cheap upgrade would be Old Forester Signature. It is a 100 proof bourbon that has a nice taste.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kyrocklover View Post
    Old Heaven Hill 100 proof is not all that bad. Actually, I kind of like it. In my opinion, a fairly cheap upgrade would be Old Forester Signature. It is a 100 proof bourbon that has a nice taste.
    I couldn't agree more. OFS always has a place on my bar and is a big favorite when the boys come over.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    I was hoping there was a thread on here about cheap bourbons. My finances currently prevent me from getting lots of good stuff so I've been sampling lots of the cheapies. I really like Cabin Still, which hasn't been mentioned on here yet. I am also a big fan of Old Heaven Hill BIB, Old Grand Dad BIB, and Early Times. Rittenhouse Rye BIB is really good stuff too.
    All excellent suggestions. OGD BIB is one of my favorite budget bourbons (I like the 86 proof too), as is the Rittenhouse Rye BIB which can compete with other ryes at double the price.

I just found my first bottle of Ritt BIB a couple of weeks ago this is mighty fine rye whiskey.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    I just found my first bottle of Ritt BIB a couple of weeks ago this is mighty fine rye whiskey.
    And I bet the price was killer too (at least for what you get). There was a time not long ago that it was available here in Chicagoland for about $15 until our new booze tax increase kicked in last September. But it's still around $18-$20 which is hard to beat.

Connoisseur

It seems like the Rittenhouse BIB has a somewhat smoky flavor. I think that's what attracts me to it. Another good cheaper whiskey is George Dickel 12.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Apprentice

I bought some EW 1783 and find it very nice for the price. Anyone know the dif between 1783 and the regular bottling?

Thanks, Rene'

Guru

Go over to some SB.comer's house and drink theirs. Guaranteed to be good and cheap