Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New to the Boards

so im new to the boards. im looking for a place to talk bourbon. when my brothers not in town, theres no one around me who really enjoys bourbon and/or whiskey.

jim beam white label is my standard "go to" bourbon. but im always trying new stuff to find a premium worth the price or a value bourbon with good flavors or just to find something unique/interesting. plus its nice to have a variety around the house for those times when you want a different taste.

so this seems like a good place to get talking. i guess ill be seeing yall around the forums.

Re: New to the Boards

Welcome to the site, JBW is the best selling bourbon in the world. Being the best seller doesn't make it the best. You might try Evan Williams Black Label it's a little cheaper but I think you might like it better. What other bourbons have you you tried ? So we can get a handle on where you are at? What's your bourbon budget? So we can make some suggestion for you. It's not a contest, it's doesn't matter what shelf your on we'll find some good bourbons for you.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

yah, the Evan Williams is drinkable, as is the Ezra Brooks. ive been digging the Old Grand Dad bonded, but thats more or less the same formula as Beam.

one of my favorites at the house now is Black Maple Hill, but ive only found one bottle of that in my area, so i drink it very sparingly and only with guests. i picked up some Hirsch the other day which is decent.
    but ill also enjoy the Virginia Gentleman from time to time.

i dont really have a bourbon budget. ill purchase some higher end stuff every now and then, and the next time ill get something lower shelf. i suppose it all balances out that way.

Advanced Taster

OGD is a higher rye mashbill than JB.

yah, gives it a bit more of a bite, but still similar to the JB.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by foxflyer5 View Post
    ive been digging the Old Grand Dad bonded, but thats more or less the same formula as Beam.
    more, way more. it takes me back to the time my girlfriend wanted the dog to sleep in our water bed with us. i said "fine, but I'm bringing the bonded OGD to bed with me from now on." let's just say there's no fur on the covers.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Thumbs up Re: New to the Boards

Welcome aboard, FF5! I like you already. 6 posts...5 posts about bourbon...1 cigar post that mentions bourbon. Yessir, that's how it's done. I hope you enjoy your time here.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Welcome to SB FF5. Glad to have you. A couple of other bourbons I would recommend are Weller SR and WT 101. Both reasonably priced and fairly good pours. Have fun and enjoy the site. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

thanks. i do enjoy the various outputs from WT. i havent found any Weller around here. theres a lot of interesting bourbons id like to try that just dont seem to be carried in these parts.

Connoisseur

One more time. Where you at?

-Mike
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis