Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Hello from the Mitten State

I have just recently started drinking whiskey and am currently making my way around the $25 and under category. After snooping around the website a little it looks like a wealth of information and filled with friendly honest opinions. So far I have only had Jack Daniels Black (I know, I know not a bourbon but whiskey non the less), Jim Beam Black and White, Crown Royal and I currently have a bottle of Evan Williams 86 proof open right now. There is a really great liquor store here in Lansing, Big Ten Party Store, that carries a ton and can special order anything that is available here in Michigan.

Well see you around.

Doug
    Last edited by harshest; 05-03-2010 at 06:03.

Guru

Re: Hello from the Mitten State

Welcome Doug!

Always nice to have another Michigander on the board, although others may disagree.

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Post early and often. Hope to see you sometime soon!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Welcome aboard Doug, Just what we need here another bourbon drinker from Michigan is this a local sport there? Just kidding great bunch of guys and gals up there in Michigan. Doug they have some nice get together keep your eyes peeled for those. Doug have you ever thought of giving Wild Turkey 101 a try it will blow the socks off any one of the ones you are currently drinking IMHO. It's well within your price range. I hope you like the site. Post often, ask questions, give us your opinions. Chat is the gazebo on the top of the main forum page, it's officially Thursday and Sunday nights but there's someone in there most every night. Stop in we have a great time and your always welcome to join in.

Paul
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Advanced Taster

Welcome aboard Doug, Just what we need here another bourbon drinker from Michigan is this a local sport there?
    With the economy in this state and my chosen field of work, construction, it very well should be...

Doug have you ever thought of giving Wild Turkey 101 a try it will blow the socks off any one of the ones you are currently drinking IMHO. It's well within your price range.
    I haven't tried it yet but it is on my list. I have a hard time convincing the wife that I need more than one bottle at a time. I tell her that they all have their own unique taste and favor profile and need to be compared side by side, but she doesn't agree and thinks they all taste like turpentine. Chicks man.

Next time your wife says you only need one bottle tell her at least your not trying to do this and she should be happy.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...&postcount=288

Em is going what? what did I do? Em your a beacon for us all.
    Last edited by p_elliott; 05-03-2010 at 09:34.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Taster
    Chico, California (Home of Sierra Nevada Beer)

Remind her that bourbon does not go bad. And you should have different bottles for different uses. Different bottles for different moods. Different bottles for different guests. Different bottles.....

What I am saying is GET MORE BOTTLES FOR GOD'S SAKE, MAN!

OWA is great. At least here in California you can get Makers Mark in that price range. That is a good day to day multi-use bourbon. Old Grand Dad (I guess 86 proof) is much cheaper and very good for warm weather bourbon and soda imho.

Guru

Welcome aboard Doug, MI can be an odd place as far as bourbon goes.
    The state LCC has a pretty good selection, the problem is with our fellow citizens, they don't drink bourbon so the retailers don't carry it.
    Don't be shy about asking a retailer to special order you something and there is no extra charge for that.
    You didn't ask but I'll suggest a few.
    Low price picks are Wild Turkey 101 and WLWeller Special Reserve.
    On the next price level try Four Roses Single Barrel and Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo 107prf, also Wild Turkey Rare Breed.
    ovh

The Voshole

Quote Originally Posted by Enabler View Post
    Remind her that bourbon does not go bad. And you should have different bottles for different uses. Different bottles for different moods. Different bottles for different guests. Different bottles.....

What I am saying is GET MORE BOTTLES FOR GOD'S SAKE, MAN!
    Welcome Doug. There's more truth to the above statement than you might think. More times than not, when I go to the cabinet I know what kind of a taste I'm in the mood for and you need to have the variety to cover any situation or craving. Plus, it doesn't hurt that you can get a wide variety of bourbon's without spending huge amounts of money.

Gary
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Advanced Taster

Welcome Doug...

In the under $25 range I would go with BT, or the OWA.. I just picked up some OC 10yr old the other day.. Very pleasant at around 20 bucks.
    Jeff...

I can learn to resist anything but temptation.

Enthusiast

Welcome from another Michigander. In the under $25 range there's also Four Roses Yellow Label, very good and reasonably priced.

And, as I've said before, there are much worse hobbies than collecting bourbon!!
    Amy