Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Hello from the Mitten State

Quote Originally Posted by Res/st-or View Post
    Welcome Doug...

In the under $25 range I would go with BT, or the OWA.. I just picked up some OC 10yr old the other day.. Very pleasant at around 20 bucks.
    Thanks, but what is OWA? I figured out the other ones using the list of acronyms but didn't see OWA listed.
    Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough. - Mark Twain.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by harshest View Post
    Thanks, but what is OWA? I figured out the other ones using the list of acronyms but didn't see OWA listed.
    Old Weller Antique
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Welcome to SB. Seems like more and more folks from Michigan are coming out of the woodwork. You guys could stage a really terrific get-together this summer with us boozers from Illinois as a "bonus" contingent.

Definitely check out the Old Weller Antique which is excellent whiskey at a great price. I've been downing lots of OGD 114 lately too which is becoming a relatively inexpensive favorite.

So, how did you get in to English football? When I lived in England back in 1997-98 my best friend had Arsenal FC season tickets, so we went quite often. What an experience! Sadly, the team I liked best, Wimbledon FC, moved to Milton Keynes in 2003. (Also, I once went to a private party at which several Arensal players were present. When my friend returned from the "loo" he happened upon me standing in the kitchen with Patrick Vieira, Ian Wright and Emmanuel Petit and damned near shit his pants. I, on the other hand, really didn't know who they were at the time, so chatted away with them like a fool and never once asked them a question about football!)
    Last edited by unclebunk; 05-06-2010 at 07:26.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    So, how did you get in to English football? When I lived in England my best friend had Arsenal FC season tickets, so we went quite often. What an experience! Sadly, the team I liked best, Wimbledon FC, moved to Milton Keynes in 2003.
    Well I have been a soccer player all my life and still am, in the old mans league here in town , so I have always followed soccer. I really got into following United after visiting my wife's friend who lives in Manchester. I was fortunate enough to get tickets to an FA Cup game at Old Trafford in 07, and from then on I have been following even more intently.

With only one more game left it looks like the Gunners have secured themselves a spot in next years Champions League. I will be the biggest Wigan fan this weekend, hoping they can at least hold Chelsea to a draw. That combined with a United win will give the Red Devils their fourth straight title.
    Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough. - Mark Twain.

Advanced Taster

Welcome to the board. Ever in the Alpena area and want to sling bourbon let me know.

Taster

I have just recently started drinking whiskey and am currently making my way around the $25 and under category. After snooping around the website a little it looks like a wealth of information and filled with friendly honest opinions. So far I have only had Jack Daniels Black (I know, I know not a bourbon but whiskey non the less), Jim Beam Black and White, Crown Royal and I currently have a bottle of Evan Williams 86 proof open right now. There is a really great liquor store here in Lansing, Big Ten Party Store, that carries a ton and can special order anything that is available here in Michigan.

Well see you around.

Doug
    You are right about the Big Ten party store. I have lived in Gaylord, Lansing, and now Belleville and have stopped in many party stores, but the Big Ten has about the best overall selection I've found yet. I really like the "make your own" 6 pack of beer too. I still get up there at least once a month. As a matter of fact I just had some Breckenridge Small Batch IPA last weekend from there that I thought was REAL good.

Guru

I will be the biggest Wigan fan this weekend, hoping they can at least hold Chelsea to a draw.
    Well, that didn't quite work out as planned. Talk about an ass kicking!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Hey Woody, if you ever get over to Ann Arbor check out A & L Wine Castle, 2424 West Stadium Blvd.
    ovh

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Well, that didn't quite work out as planned. Talk about an ass kicking!
    Yeah they really din't even try to make a game of it. There is always next year and of course the World Cup in June!

Enthusiast

Welcome, Harshest.

I live in Lansing, too. Drop me a PM if you ever want to come by and have a look at my modest collection.

My favorite store is Goodrich Shoprite on Trowbridge. The only reason I prefer them to Big Ten is that they sell at the state minimum 100% of the time. They'll also order you anything.

My top picks under 25 bucks are Old Grand Dad 114 and Elijah Craig 12YO. I could live off those two (plus an occasional bottle of Wild Turkey Rye).

FWIW, when I lived in Europe, I supported AEK.

Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut