Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Connoisseur

Re: Canadian Club Sherry Cask

Quote Originally Posted by Doggerlander View Post
    It was a little too much sherry for me, too. However, it was not as over-sherried as the Tomatin 12 yr. So, if you liked this, you may want to check out the Tomatin (which is pretty cheap at $22).

I'm a big Macallan fan, by the way. That is how it should be done.
    Yeah, if you don't mind paying $90, which is the price of the 12 year old sherry cask in Ontario.

Connoisseur

I tried CC Sherry Cask today, and I rather enjoyed it. Rich, smooth body, warm spice flavour. I didn't have the time to do a very thorough assessment of it but my initial impression was that it is a pleasant undemanding whisky with nice body and colour. Probably great on the rocks. I found it to be well-balanced, contrary to what I have read.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    Yeah, if you don't mind paying $90, which is the price of the 12 year old sherry cask in Ontario.
    Ouch! Yeah, I should have put a price disclaimer on my post like: "when I can bring myself to spend the money." Mac 12 is around $50 down here. I never regret it when I can bring myself to pull the trigger, but I have to think about it.

The CC sherry is $20 here, which is too much for me for what it is. Maybe I'll change my mind by the end of the bottle, though. I'll go pour one now and try it again, this time on the rocks.

Connoisseur

I'm well into my first bottle of CC Sherry Cask now. Wonderful stuff! Sure, the sherry dominates but in a good way. From the nose to the finish there is nothing off or unpleasant about this. Indeed, it is one of the more expressive Canadian whiskies I've had. Very impressed. If there is a downside it is that it's dangerously drinkable and tends to disapear fast.

Enthusiast

I bought a bottle last night. I'm really impressed. At the price point, I think I'll buy a bottle per every 5 or 6 bottles of American whiskey.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Advanced Taster

I'm a little over 1/2 through my 1st bottle of CC sherry cask and I can say I won't be buying a replacement when this one is empty.

At first, it seemed well balanced, smooth and sweet canadian profile with a touch of sherry influence. Now, though, it seems to be out of balance big time. What I'm assuming is the taste of the sherry cask influence is now the sort of musty I associate with the taste of a '70's Beam that had a shrunken cork. It's almost an old basement kind of musty taste now. I've only had the bottle open for a couple months, tops, so I wouldn't guess oxidation is to blame. I hate to say it, but It may have to be drowned in coke to finish the bottle.

Eric

Guru

It should be noted that, according to Canadian regs (please, Gary or anyone else correct me if I'm wrong) a certain amount of sherry can actually be ADDED to the whiskey. This may account for the big sherry flavor of CCSC.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Sherry can legally be added to Canadian whisky as the "flavouring" component, to be sure. In the case of CCSC, I believe the whisky is finished in a sherry barrel and that is where the winy taste comes from.

I have found each bottling over the years somewhat different, some are sweet and uncomplex, some have more bite (seemingly more rye), and so forth.

Gary

Connoisseur

I recall reading that Sherry Cask is made in limited batches, which could also account for some variation between bottles.

Disciple

In Ohio, all the CC versions had the prices dropped at the beginning of summer. In addition, rebates up to 5.00 a bottle were offered on everything Beam distributes. This offer makes for some cheap drinking of good whiskey, CC sherry cask included!

Thomas