Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

new to the forum and my first post

Greetings all,
    I am new to the forum and to drinking bourbon. I use to drink bombbay gins and beers only until one day a friend at work told me to try Kentucky Bourbon and he suggested Maker's Mark. So I figured nothing ventured nothing gained. I have to say it was GOOD. Just finished that bottle. Did some reasearch on the net and visted several makers web sites yesterday and decided to give Buffalo Trace a try last night. To me it tastes even better than Makers Mark. Smooth rich flavor and a lasting easy finish.
    I am trying to stay in the 30 to 45 dollar range. Can anyone suggest any other distilleries\makers to try because I am hooked on bourbon.
    Thanks

Connoisseur

Re: new to the forum and my first post

Quote Originally Posted by jwistuber View Post
    Greetings all,
    I am new to the forum and to drinking bourbon. I use to drink bombbay gins and beers only until one day a friend at work told me to try Kentucky Bourbon and he suggested Maker's Mark. So I figured nothing ventured nothing gained. I have to say it was GOOD. Just finished that bottle. Did some reasearch on the net and visted several makers web sites yesterday and decided to give Buffalo Trace a try last night. To me it tastes even better than Makers Mark. Smooth rich flavor and a lasting easy finish.
    I am trying to stay in the 30 to 45 dollar range. Can anyone suggest any other distilleries\makers to try because I am hooked on bourbon.
    Thanks
    Welcome my friend. You've come to the right place if you enjoy bourbon. Just browse around and soon you'll have more suggestions for fine bourbon than you have time or money to spend drinking it.

Stick to Buffalo Trace's product range and you can't go wrong.

Cheers!
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Guru

Welcome aboard, check out the "Straight Bourbon Of The Month" section, it has lots of info about different bourbons.
    And I'll suggest two in your price range, Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo 107prf and Four Roses Single Barrel.
    ovh

Trippah and Admin

Welcome to SB. This place is an awesome resource.

Since all expressions are not available in all states, recommendations can really depend on where you live.

So, where ya from?
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Greetings all,
    Thanks
    Well you've come to the right place my man...

Maker's Mark is a "gateway" bourbon for many, same as it was for you. One of the great things about Bourbon, Tennesee whiskey and Rye, is that while $30-$45 can barely get you in the door with a Single Malt Scotch, you get any bourbon worth getting (with a few notable exceptions) for under $50.

Not to be nosy, but where do you live? That can make a big difference as far as recommending something goes. Not everything is available everywhere.

Member profiles have spots for bourbon recs. If you find someone here who has similar tastes to yours, check their profile for recs. Mine includes "value" and "fancy" choices.

Anyway, welcome to the community!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Phoenix AZ. There is a store called Total Wine and More near my house that I tend to go to.

Taster
    Chico, California (Home of Sierra Nevada Beer)

I know I sound like a one trick pony on these forums, but Old Weller Antique 107. Great bourbon, good price.

Virtuoso

Phoenix AZ. There is a store called Total Wine and More near my house that I tend to go to.
    Phoenix! Welcome to the forum, neighbor. I'm in Tucson, AZ.As far as recommendations within your price range (I'll make a couple that haven't been mentioned yet):

Elmer T. Lee. I can't find it here in Tucson, but it's possible it is available somewhere in Phoenix. I'm guessing it will run 30-35 if you find it.

Rock Hill Farms. I can't suggest that bourbon highly enough for someone who has developed a taste for bourbon but is still just exploring! It's going to run right near the top of your price range, though.

welcome to the board, and good luck figuring out what you like!
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Welcome to the site, you have some good company out there in AZ with you with Erik and Emerald. I hope you like the site, please post often let us know how your coming along on your new adventure into the bourbon world. Don't be afraid to ask questions, we like answering questions and they stir discussions. Don't be afraid to post your opinions either we want to hear them, fresh opinions are always welcome. Chat is officially Thursday and Sunday nights but you can find people in there most any night it's the gazebo top of the main forum page. Stop in we have a good time there your always welcome.

As for a recommendation look at my avatar give Wild Turkey 101 a go it's got some kick to it but if you were drinking gin you'll do just fine. Most everything that has been suggested is good. There are not many bourbons your not going to like in the price range your talking even less. WT 101 is only $22. Old Weller Antique 107 (OWA) is around $23 and is a very good wheater bourbon. Anyway have fun and make some new friends.

Paul
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Advanced Taster

A couple others not yet mentioned that I like quite a bit:

- Elijah Craig 12. Some have reported inconsistencies between bottles, but I haven't had one that wasn't good. Probably in the low $20s in most markets.

- Old Grand-Dad 114. May be a little strong, at 114 proof, for a newcomer but definately full of flavor. A little more than EC12, probably mid $20s or so.

- Wild Turkey 101 Rye. Technically not a bourbon, but pretty close. Lots of spicy rye flavor, if you favor a bolder taste profile. This is some good stuff. Low $20s.

Can't go wrong with any of these and inexpensive enough to take a risk...