Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hybrid View

New to SB.com but looking for a new taste...

Hey guys,

I'm the only bourbon drinker in a large group of 'scotchies' and have been lusting after another high quality drop to try.

Now being in the younger portion of some folk here, and living in South Australia, my experience in high quality bourbons is somewhat lacking.

This is where you guys come in. I have enjoyed Bookers, and the old ages Turkeys (not hugely to my liking), and my little brother just bought me a bottle of Blanton's to try.

Now is time for something new. I'm looking for people's recommendations on a high end bottle around the $60-90 mark.

I was looking for a PVW here, but unfortunately none of our distributors carry any of their lines at all. The only place that I could find that could deliver to me wanted $300-350 per bottle!!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Looking for something smooth and warm that can be enjoyed outside under the patio while it's raining with a smoke in hand

Virtuoso

Re: New to SB.com but looking for a new taste...

Quote Originally Posted by BTM View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm the only bourbon drinker in a large group of 'scotchies' and have been lusting after another high quality drop to try.

Now being in the younger portion of some folk here, and living in South Australia, my experience in high quality bourbons is somewhat lacking.

This is where you guys come in. I have enjoyed Bookers, and the old ages Turkeys (not hugely to my liking), and my little brother just bought me a bottle of Blanton's to try.

Now is time for something new. I'm looking for people's recommendations on a high end bottle around the $60-90 mark.

I was looking for a PVW here, but unfortunately none of our distributors carry any of their lines at all. The only place that I could find that could deliver to me wanted $300-350 per bottle!!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Looking for something smooth and warm that can be enjoyed outside under the patio while it's raining with a smoke in hand

You said you didn't care for the turkeys much, which ones did you try? Australia still has the 86.8, 8 year old, and 12 year old available to them. If you haven't tried the 12 year old, I'd recommend it as a fine bourbon... but if you're not into Turkey, perhaps not!

pieface would be the man to really answer that question, as he is also in australia and has a better idea of what is available.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    You said you didn't care for the turkeys much, which ones did you try? Australia still has the 86.8, 8 year old, and 12 year old available to them. If you haven't tried the 12 year old, I'd recommend it as a fine bourbon... but if you're not into Turkey, perhaps not!

pieface would be the man to really answer that question, as he is also in australia and has a better idea of what is available.
    I tried the 8 year Turkey which was not too bad, so the 12 might be a goer.

I'll need to focus on the specific's of why the turkey's don't appeal to me as much, but usually the Maker's Marks are far smoother and nicer for me.

I really enjoyed the Booker and am hoping the Blanton's also holds a lovely experience as well.

I guess my issue has always been the fact I start drinking them and then knock them off too quickly.

It's finally time to get some bottles and just sample them from time to time. I might finally be getting old.

I'm surprised the Turkey's are not available in the States. Are they still in demand there?

Taster
    Chico, California (Home of Sierra Nevada Beer)

If you like the Makers and want to go up a bit, try Woodford's Reserve. If you can find it in Australia (I would be surprised) try one of their Master's Collection. I especially loved the 1838 Sweet Mash. Regular Woodford's is about 25-30 a bottle here in California, the Master's collection 80 dollars or more. Not sure what that would translate to when shipped to Aussieland. I think you would like it, though. Also, Knob Creek which is sweet and smooth and might be around down there.

Advanced Taster

Did your distributor specify which PVW would cost you $300 to $350? If it doesn't matter, you might as well splurge on the 23yr old Which runs about 2 bills here. maybe the bottle age has something to do with the price. The 12yr and the 15 yr are fantastic... might be cheaper.

You might like the RHF... Very pleasing nectar that one is.
    Jeff...

I can learn to resist anything but temptation.

Quote Originally Posted by Res/st-or View Post
    Did your distributor specify which PVW would cost you $300 to $350? If it doesn't matter, you might as well splurge on the 23yr old Which runs about 2 bills here. maybe the bottle age has something to do with the price. The 12yr and the 15 yr are fantastic... might be cheaper.

You might like the RHF... Very pleasing nectar that one is.
    It was the 20 year old PVW that I was looking at which was $300AUD plus shipping off the top of my head.

RHF? Excuse my ignorance.....the abbreviations are still new to me.

I think the Woodford's Reserve sounds like it might be worth a stab. I'll be looking for a Master's Collection if I can get my hands on one.

It's such a shame bourbon is so limited here. I drink a lot of Woodstock (just due to it's price while being relatively nice when mixed), Beam and Maker's. Time to start getting some of the higher end stuff I think.

My brother hates me liking bourbon due to his love of scotch. When I talk about $300 bottles he's like "oh thats mid range stuff?" and when I tell him it's getting up there with the nicest, I think he wishes he drunk bourbon as well lol.

So I just rang one of our biggest suppliers. Knob Creek has been discontinued and although they have the standard Woodford's (which I think I might try) they don't carry the Masters Collection or anything high end.

Looks like I'll be importing privately if I want to get anything other than Booker's in the high end stuff. Might drive around and have a look at what is hidden in the corner's of some bottle shops

Taster
    Chico, California (Home of Sierra Nevada Beer)

Definitely try the standard Woodford's reserve, you won't regret it.

Connoisseur

Good to see another Aussie aboard...a shame he's a crow-eater

BTM, as you know we are pretty limited for selection here so here are my tips with reference to your preference to MM over the turkey labels...

Buffalo Trace - It's a a new player to our market but has impressed me with it's smooth character and the sweetness may well appeal. Might be a bit tricky to find atm. I'll PM you with the aussie distributor details tomorrow if no one else posts them up in the interim. Dave Higgins will help you find a local outlet I'm sure.

Bakers - Beam whiskey can cop a panning around the place but Bakers seems to tick the boxes for your smooth whiskey for sipping on the patio. Great yeasty/bready type notes. A refined and balanced whiskey IMO if lacking the "punch" more seasoned bourbonites may crave.

RHF you won't be able to find in Aus I think unfortunately, it is great whiskey. The Blanton's...It's my #1 80proofer I hope you enjoy it.

Sounds like you are all over Alex's offerings at vintage direct?

HTH

Dirty Sandgroper Pieface