Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    745

    Flooding in Tennessee & Kentucky

    I had a friend on a newsgroup mention that her parents were concerned about the distillery at Lynchburg, what with all the flooding in that part of the country. Has anyone heard how the distilleries are faring?

    At least her parents have got their priorities set right.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

  2. #2
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North Alabama
    Posts
    577

    Re: Flooding in Tennessee & Kentucky

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEdwards View Post
    I had a friend on a newsgroup mention that her parents were concerned about the distillery at Lynchburg, what with all the flooding in that part of the country. Has anyone heard how the distilleries are faring?

    At least her parents have got their priorities set right.
    Lynchburg is well drained to the east and south and the warehouses are nestled on the tops of hills behind the distillery. If the welcome center and distillery flood then the town center will be in a world of hurt too. The whiskey already in the barrel is safe and will be available long enough for Mr jack to dig out and distill anew.
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

  3. #3
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,375

    Re: Flooding in Tennessee & Kentucky

    The incredible thing about this is that two years ago they were suffering a long drought and in danger of having to slow production, though it never actually came to that.

    I'm in Louisville right now and there's been a lot of rain, but no talk of flooding.

  4. #4
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kentucky!
    Posts
    4,745

    Re: Flooding in Tennessee & Kentucky

    It seems that New Haven is mostly underwater and Beam in Boston is supposedly going to be closing some floodgates later today. BT, WT, FR are all built on hilltops and would not likely flood. Makers is probably loving life as this would be refilling its reservoir. B-F is not, if I recall, in an area of Louisville that floods, which would hold true for HH as well.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

    As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

    I'm no Pappyophile

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    2,964

    Re: Flooding in Tennessee & Kentucky

    Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    It seems that New Haven is mostly underwater and Beam in Boston is supposedly going to be closing some floodgates later today. BT, WT, FR are all built on hilltops and would not likely flood. Makers is probably loving life as this would be refilling its reservoir. B-F is not, if I recall, in an area of Louisville that floods, which would hold true for HH as well.
    I don't recall the warehouses but as for the distillery it's self BT sets right on the river they have high water marks from previous floods. The distilling is probably shut down for the summer any way but not bottling.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

  6. #6
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Swaziland, Africa
    Posts
    1,473

    Re: Flooding in Tennessee & Kentucky

    We have been hit hard in BG, but not as hard as Nashville. People affiliated with Corsair have had their homes flooded and still don't know the extent of the damage.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    2,964

    Re: Flooding in Tennessee & Kentucky

    Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    We have been hit hard in BG, but not as hard as Nashville. People affiliated with Corsair have had their homes flooded and still don't know the extent of the damage.

    Are you OK Ben ???
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

  8. #8
    Taster
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    89

    Re: Flooding in Tennessee & Kentucky

    Here are some pix from the back of the distillery if you have ever looked out the back of the dry house. usually this is a 40 foot drop to the river.

    Etohchem
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. Who brought the chips?

  9. #9
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Swaziland, Africa
    Posts
    1,473

    Re: Flooding in Tennessee & Kentucky

    Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    Are you OK Ben ???
    Everyone connected to the distillery and everyone I know is okay, but some have lost most of what they own.

    What is so horrible about this extent of damage is that many (most??) won't have flood insurance on their homes because they are so far away from flood levels they never thought they would need it.

    Here in Bowling Green, the Barren River is more than a mile outside its banks at points.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

  10. #10
    Trippah and Admin
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast Ahia
    Posts
    4,507

    Re: Flooding in Tennessee & Kentucky

    Quote Originally Posted by etohchem View Post
    Here are some pix from the back of the distillery if you have ever looked out the back of the dry house. usually this is a 40 foot drop to the river.

    Etohchem
    The KY river at Frankfort was sitting at about 10ft Sunday morning and is now around 37 feet and still rising.

    When I stood by the dryhouse and looked at the high water marks there, I was stunned at how much water had to be in that channel for it to get that high. I'm still amazed.

    Frankfort:

    http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

    Boston:

    http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

    Bowling Green:

    http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...,1,1,1,1,1,1,1
    Last edited by callmeox; 05-03-2010 at 14:57.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Tennessee vs. Bourbon
    By tr1strev in forum New to Straightbourbon
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-22-2009, 09:25
  2. The Tennessee Vat
    By Gillman in forum Other American Whiskey Tastings
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-05-2005, 04:58
  3. Tennessee Research
    By **DONOTDELETE** in forum Other American Whiskey
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-01-2001, 21:17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top