Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trading bottles

Connoisseur

Re: Trading bottles

The taxes have already been paid by the retailer and the customer. I know thats the way it is but if two people bought said product they paid the taxes and then traded them (what would the difference be if they each bought the other bottle). It is absolutely ridiculous. But hey that the way it is.
    Dave

The Best Whisk(e)y in the World is called

Kentucky Bourbon!!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by whskylvr View Post
    I know thats the way it is but if two people bought said product they paid the taxes and then traded them (what would the difference be if they each bought the other bottle). It is absolutely ridiculous.
    I know that and you know that.
    But the tax Man don't play no games.
    You can rape, rob and murder here in the USA, but if you don't pay the taxman you will pay in other ways that you will regret.
    ovh

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    I know that and you know that.
    But the tax Man don't play no games.
    You can rape, rob and murder here in the USA, but if you don't pay the taxman you will pay in other ways that you will regret.
    It's like buying a car in the state of kansas. I pay the initial sales tax, and then when I sell it someone else has to pay the sales tax. and when he sells it.... Ricidulous system! If a valuable car sells a couple of times at decent retail, the state could make as much in taxes as it cost to build!
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

For legal purposes, trading is no different than selling.

It's crazy, because the laws weren't intended to prevent collector-type transactions, and 'the man' has generally ignored this sort of thing, but a web site that facilitates law-breaking has liabilities, so you can't do it here. (I'm not the authority, nor am I speaking for him, I'm just describing the reality of the situation.)

Virtuoso

Nothing wrong with two friends exchanging gifts.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy38 View Post
    Nothing wrong with two friends exchanging gifts.
    A agree 100% with that, it is just best done on the PM. There are ways of doing it without fanfare.

The Boss

Quote Originally Posted by VERITAS View Post
    While its completely understandable why there are no "bourbon for sale" threads, what about a trading thread/forum between board members? I see several posts from 4 or 5 years ago regarding this - but haven't seen anything recently. I noticed that Jim said he wasn't interested in doing anything like this, but that was nearly 4 years ago.

I have over 100 bottles of bourbon, but most are fairly new and I'd love to get my hands on some old stuff. I know there are several members on the board that have older bottlings, that have a hard time tracking down new releases due to where they live.

There may be some legalities surrounding this but I figured I'd ask... Perhaps people can just list what they have or what they are willing to part with and everything else can be conducted via PM or email...
    Alright guys, I'm a little late here, but just ran across this thread.

Here's the bottom line; I don't want to see any sales or trades take place in public here. I have been advised against such things by SB's legal counsel, and I take his advice very seriously. All it would take to get rid of this site is the feds bringing an action against us for facilitating illegal activity. We don't make any money, so we don't have any money to defend ourselves against something of that nature.

I have instructed all staff to henceforth eliminate any trade offer/sales threads upon discovery, as they put us at severe risk. No discussion, no negotiation, just gone.

I don't want any sales stuff going on in PM's either, because once I approve of that, then some retailer will see it as a rules loophole and start spamming the membership.

Trading with each other via PM? I have no idea what any of you are talking about.
    Jim Butler
    Straightbourbon.com