Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Question about four roses

I have starting seeing four roses on the shelfs here in phoenix and it seems to me mentioned alot here. I am thinking of giving it a try, what are your impressions of it. Taste finish ect.
    Thanks

Disciple

Re: Question about four roses

There are lot of different bottles of Four Roses...they are all different in their own respect. Do you know which bottles that you have available?
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Guru

If you're talking about the regular Four Roses with the yellow label, its definately worth buying.

It's very well balanced, almost fussy, with spice, candy, a bit of wood, I could go on and on. If I had to descibe it in one word, I would say "elegant".

If you haven't noticed, I really like it. It does very well in cocktails that allow the whiskey to shine through, like a Manhattan.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

All the FR expressions are good... can't say I've ever been disappointed.

Personally (but hey that's just me) I'd rank them in the following (best-to-last order):
    • any Mariage
    • any LE (e.g., 40th Anniversary, 120th anniversary, 2009, etc) single barrels
    • Small Batch
    • standard issue or retailer-selected single barrels
    Ranking the SmB higher will likely be controversial with many here. But I like the complexity of the extra distillations.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Virtuoso

The yellow label is everywhere here. And I gotta disagree with you guys. I haven't had any in a couple years, and was tempted to buy it yesterday since it was on sale for about $11. I passed on it and got the Early Times export bourbon for the same price.

I only had that one bottle (maybe even three years ago), but I found it sweet, oily and cloying. I've never met a bourbon I couldn't drink, but I've found a lot of other similarly priced whiskies more to my taste.

That said, it was long ago. Tastes change. Maybe I should give it another shot.