Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster
    Chico, California (Home of Sierra Nevada Beer)

What goes with Strawberries?

Okay, working on a dinner coming up with some bourbon pairings. Going to do strawberries and shortcake for dessert, was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a "dessert" bourbon to go with it?

Advanced Taster

Re: What goes with Strawberries?

Quote Originally Posted by Enabler View Post
    Okay, working on a dinner coming up with some bourbon pairings. Going to do strawberries and shortcake for dessert, was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a "dessert" bourbon to go with it?
    Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2009. The chocolate tones are a perfect compliment to the strawberries.

Taster
    Chico, California (Home of Sierra Nevada Beer)

Thanks. I will look around and see if that is available in my area. I have a 2005 Birthday Bourbon. Would that work as well?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Enabler View Post
    Thanks. I will look around and see if that is available in my area. I have a 2005 Birthday Bourbon. Would that work as well?
    Haven't had that one so I can't say.

Advanced Taster

I once had an erotic experience involving strawberries that was spectacular. But since this is a "family" site, I dare not recount it here.

Guru

Slightly off topic, but try sprinkling some Sambuca and ground pepper over fresh strawberries... sounds a little bizarre but really quite good.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Enthusiast

Again, off topic but Balsamic vinegar and strawberries is a nice combination as well.

As for Bourbon and strawberries....I got nothing. I would do something different. Creme Brulee, Grilled Peach shortcake (but peaches aren't quite in season yet), Chocolate-pecan praline cake, Soak some cherries in bourbon and make a cherry tart.

You could try making a simple syrup and adding a little of whatever bourbon you will be serving to macerate your strawberries. I just worry about bourbon overpowering the strawberries.
    "F**k it, I'm gettin' into the whiskey."
    -Joe Alvey

I would say a wheated bourbon. MM, WSR or maybe even Lot B. Something sweeter/smoother with less of a bite. A rye or high rye bourbon might be too bitter and really offset the combination. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    I would say a wheated bourbon. MM, WSR or maybe even Lot B. Something sweeter/smoother with less of a bite. A rye or high rye bourbon might be too bitter and really offset the combination. Joe
    If you happen to have a decanter of ORVW 23 handy, that would work! Otherwise, I'd second the birthday bourbon's chocolate notes. If you can locate a 2007, use that. otherwise, I'd bet the 05 would be fine. I've never had it either, so I can't say for 100% certain.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Guru

I have one of those ISI whip cream things, the ones that use a cartridge of N2O put the contents under pressure. It does such a good job "whipping" the cream, I wouldn't think thinning down heavy cream with a touch of bourbon, something sweet, would cause it to under-perform. Dust the strawberries with some bitter-sweet chocolate shavings and lay on the bourbon laced whipped cream and you are in business.