Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redemption Rye

Connoisseur

Redemption Rye

Came across an item I didn't recognize at DrinkUpNY and
    thought I'd ask about it here - Redemption Rye.

The Redemption website doesn't have much more information
    available but I did find the following information:

"On its way is Redemption Rye, which is distilled in Indiana and
    comes from Dave Schmier, the same guy would produces Orange V
    orange-flavored vodka. Two things you need to know about this
    rye: it's distilled from 95% rye (the legal requirement if 51%) and
    its bottled at 92 proof, a good notch above typical alcohol levels.
    So you have a relatively hot, spicy tipple here. What's more, Schmier
    plans to come out with a Barrel Strength Bottling in July, at 120-125
    proof! A single barrel rye is also on the way. The price on Redemption
    isn't bad: $25.99. The Barrel Strength will be $39.99."

Anyone heard anything else?

Guru

Re: Redemption Rye

Sounds tasty. Methinks it might taste similar to High West and Templeton.

Kudos to Redemption for being candid about their source.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Sounds tasty. Methinks it might taste similar to High West and Templeton.

Kudos to Redemption for being candid about their source.
    Schmier is a marketer and promoter, not a distiller, so I don't know how "candid" they're being.

I haven't had it but a friend who has reports that it is pretty awful, very young and solvent-like. It is only two-years-old, after all. The "Indiana" tag suggests Lawrenceburg as the source, but Indiana is a big state. It's being bottled at Strong in Bardstown, which also bottles the undistinguished 80 Strong bourbon.

Connoisseur

It smells really good, but it will cut your throat out. The rye from the angostura distillery in Indian that I have had has been good. I wonder if this is really made. The stuff is not good at all.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Schmier is a marketer and promoter, not a distiller, so I don't know how "candid" they're being.

I haven't had it but a friend who has reports that it is pretty awful, very young and solvent-like. It is only two-years-old, after all. The "Indiana" tag suggests Lawrenceburg as the source, but Indiana is a big state. It's being bottled at Strong in Bardstown, which also bottles the undistinguished 80 Strong bourbon.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    It smells really good, but it will cut your throat out. The rye from the angostura distillery in Indian that I have had has been good. I wonder if this is really made. The stuff is not good at all.
    Interesting. Don't think I'll be buying it any time soon then. How many whiskey distilleries are there in Indiana anyway?
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Interesting. Don't think I'll be buying it any time soon then. How many whiskey distilleries are there in Indiana anyway?
    As far as I know there's just the one in Lawrenceburg. There's a brandy distillery in Starlight.

Huber in Starlight has made some whiskey, though not in much quantity, so it seems unlikely that this is that. Angostura is the most likely candidate.

Tom is my friend who told me it stinks, so count that as one opinion, not two.

The whiskey Angostura makes is intended to be used as an ingredient in blends, not as a straight or 'single.' They may have a couple of different recipes, using different combinations of yeasts and mash bills.

Consumers like the idea of micro-spirits. They picture micro-distilleries although more often than not that's not what they're getting. Schmier is a good example of a guy who can spot trends and quickly bring a suitable product to market. His business model may not require that people buy a second bottle, as he'll be on to something else by then.

Virtuoso

Foster's sells a bourbon in Australia made in Lawrenceburg, so they do sell other unblended stuff.

I just noticed that the origin is listed as "Lawrenceburg USA" on the Foster's Web site. That's true, but it may lead consumers to assume another bourbon-makiing Lawrenceburg a few miles south.

John Hansell has weighed in on this product and he's enthusiastically for it.

At least his review gives that impression. He only scores it as 84, which is middling considering that John's ratings rarely dip below 80. I assume that means he finds it good for what it is, but not outstanding compared to more mature whiskeys.
    Last edited by cowdery; 07-10-2010 at 17:37.

Guru

I finally got to taste some of this last night, and was pleasantly surprised. I was kind of surprised with the amount of fruit that was jumping in and playing with that spicey rye zing. A nice addition to the rye section.