Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Redemption Rye

Disciple

Re: Redemption Rye

I got a bottle of this today and it definitely has some zip to it when mixed with ginger ale!

Thomas

Guru

Good whisky is what it is no matter where made. I just refuse to pay more than what it is worth.

Virtuoso

Given its shelf mates that are older, less expensive and IMO better I can't get excited about this rye.....
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    Given its shelf mates that are older, less expensive and IMO better I can't get excited about this rye.....
    Given how scarce rye juice is these days, every bottle you buy at 2 years old is a bottle that won't be offered later at 4 or 6. On the other hand, one of the best rye samples I've ever tasted was a 2yo, so I'm not one to dismiss youth out of hand.

Guru

Tastes vary, I tend to favor rye mash Bourbons but I reserve the right to change that opinion.

Novice

Tasted this at a bar last night. Neat, it was very tight, very hot; dry, would be the word that came to mind. A ton of spice-essence, like a pinch of unsweetened cinnamon, and heat without much body to support it. (Not to infer that it possessed anything like a cinnamon schnapps' sweetness). I added a couple of drops of water (to a .5 oz "taster pour"), which resulted in what I'll call a "hollow" flavor profile: very top end spice with a sweet but fleeting finish. Not much in between. (Kind of like Mettalica on _...And Justice For All_, where I swear there was no bass guitar.)

The opposite of Rittenhouse BIB, which has body for days but not a ton on the edges.

Would I buy a bottle? Not so far. Would I order a full glass at a bar? Yeah, if I were feeling adventurous and wanted something neat with water back. I could imagine this making a decent Manhattan. Sweet vermouth would likely balance its shortcomings.