Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Trippah and Admin

Memorial Day weekend - outdoor cooking

So, who is cooking what outside this weekend?

I started the weekend with a cheddar burger on the Weber gasser today. Sorry purists, but I prefer gas for quick cooks like lunch when working from home.

Tomorrow, I'll be firing up the Smokey Mountain to smoke a few fatties for a party that evening. What's a fattie? Bulk pork or sausage that can be stuffed and prepped like a jelly roll and then smoked until done. I'm going to make a few different varieties for this shindig...plain mozzarella, a mozz/onion/bell pepper, mozz and chipotle peppers, maybe a garlic roll. They are great party food.

Monday I will be taking my first crack at smoking a brisket on the WSM. I've gotten a few tips from a Texas BBQ expert and I'm ready to get it done.

Who else?
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Re: Memorial Day weekend - outdoor cooking

I'm inviting the Houston Bourbon Posse over to do a mixed BBQ and grill. I'll be cooking a packer style brisket and spares on the 22in WSM. Jeff E is working on something to grill.

We'll be drinking some local beers from St Arnold and Southern Star.

The cooking will continue on Sunday at someone else's house.

Randy

Virtuoso

The East Bay Study Group is coming over Saturday and I'll be grilling some tri-tip so their poor little tum-tums won't get all rumbley with rye on an empty stomach. I just now got the two cuts settled into a Worcestershire and cooking bourbon marinade. I'll also have an antipasti vegetable platter.

Don't know what the rest of the gang is bringing.

Roger

Guru

Fired up the grill myself for the first time this year. Started out by roasting a yellow bell pepper over the charcoal chimney. Then grilled a skirt steak (marinated in my homemade hot sauce, kosher salt, Lea & Perrins and WT brown label) to perfection. Then I slapped one of my cast iron skillets over the coals and stir fried some onion and the roasted pepper strips in some home-rendered lard. I'll give you three guesses what we're having for supper tonight and the first two don't count.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    Monday I will be taking my first crack at smoking a brisket on the WSM. I've gotten a few tips from a Texas BBQ expert and I'm ready to get it done.
    Are you using a whole packer cut brisket? If not be careful and it still might be a touch dry. My WSM got a good workout last weekend with 6 slabs of baby backs and hot links. Bone-in pork shoulder from Sam's is planned for Sunday...and possible attempt at a left over pulled pork rillette recipe posted on the best food forum site in the world, LTH. Planned beverages will at minimum include a recently found Louisville Weller Special Reserve, Old Charter 10 (in memory of my deceased Southern relatives and their preferred juice) and some assorted Two Brothers Brewing beer.

Disciple

The party starts tonight at work where I'll be running the mill crane. Tommorrow it is a wedding and reception and Sunday will be opening the pool/sipping drinks. Monday will be cooking out at noon and returning to work at 4PM. Should be a fun (and profitable) weekend. This pay I am working on is in preperation for the vacation whiskey hunting trip in June!

Thomas

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Brisket and some chickens on the WSM planned on Sunday afternoon for about 10 family members.

Guru

Unhappy Re: Memorial Day weekend - outdoor cooking

It is pretty much raining all weekend, here. It may be a little better on Monday, I'm not sure. But right now, it is too messy to even think about cooking out.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Taster

Talking Re: Memorial Day weekend - outdoor cooking

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    It is pretty much raining all weekend, here. It may be a little better on Monday, I'm not sure. But right now, it is too messy to even think about cooking out.

Tim
    That's why grills usually have lids...so as the meat don't get wet.
    Last edited by woody; 05-29-2010 at 10:15.

Virtuoso

This past week I whipped up a 16 hour pork shoulder on the BGE and pulled it NC style. The bourbon boys (lead by Greg G) put the hurts to that on Thursday. Smoked and steamed a few pastrami's in the Cookshack yesterday from some corned beef briskets left in the freezer from St. Paddy's day. Enjoyed a few pastrami rubens with neighbors.

Sunday will be a few racks of ribs (St. Louis) in the BGE along with a pile of hardshell crabs to pick at.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pastrami 3.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	10850  
    Last edited by cigarnv; 05-29-2010 at 12:11.
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"