Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 6/10: Fighting Cock

Gonna get an early start this month since it seems last months BOTM didn't get too many responses.

So here it is. Let's hear it for the Kickin' Chicken. Fighting Cock. The bird with the bite. Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Enthusiast

Re: BOTM 6/10: Fighting Cock

Thanks Joe I am going to give this one a try. I have always passed on this one for whatever reason. This is the push I need to pick up a bottle and give it a pour.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Thank p_elliott. He came up with the suggestion. I've only had a couple tastes of this one. If you need a pour with a little extra "ummph" to it, this is a good one. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Fighting Cock is one of my favorite upper lower shelf bourbons. It's got some kick to it until you get used to it but once you do it's a very fine tasting bourbon. If you have never tried this get a bottle and give it a shot, it will grow on you. Every bottle I have had is better than the last and it's less than $20.
    Last edited by p_elliott; 06-01-2010 at 08:31.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

What he said. Excellent bourbon and value, it keeps getting better.

Gary

Connoisseur

I have a bottle of the Fighting Cock 103 with the clear label aged six years. While it doesn't present as a complex nose or palate, it is nicely smooth for 103 proof bourbon. The nose is light and aromatic with vanilla, oak, nuts and spice. The taste follows the nose with a sweet entry that quickly launches into drier oak-spice notes with a little bit of the chick'n-kick'n going on. The finish was rather short which automatically induces the glass gripper muscles to go into clear-reset-repeat mode.

The price is definitely right and if you are results oriented, FC will get results. If you haven't tried it before, buy a 200 or 325ml bottle and give it a try
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

The Voshole

Paul is right on the money. FC is a good, fun, in your face bourbon. On those days where you're in the mood for a drink with a little attitude, this is it. Love the price as well

Gary
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Quote Originally Posted by Dramiel McHinson View Post
    if you are results oriented, FC will get results.
    LMFAO I haven't heard it put that way before but yes if play with the chicken enough you will get results.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Disciple

I've only had one bottle of FC in my time, but I enjoyed it quite a bit, and to reiterate, especially for the $16 I paid.

I can't get it around here or I'd probably have some around -- I liken it to OGD 114 without the wood.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Thumbs up Re: BOTM 6/10: Fighting Cock

I'm on board with all the good that has been said about this fine budget bourbon. Fighting Cock is my college football season pour. I take a bottle with me when the neighborhood gets together for the Saturday evening SEC games. A nice, sharp, neat drink, with a cinnamononnonomny character. It also holds up very well as a mixer, for those that splash it with Coke, ginger, etc. Plus, it makes for a great conversation piece towards the end of the game, when everybody is a little shnockered.

Another fine example that you don't always have to plop down a lot of money to get a quality whiskey in the bourbon aisle.

I really would like to see the sales numbers for FC in South Carolina. Could be a really big seller this Fall in Columbia, as some are predicting the 'Cocks may challenge the SEC East elite.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama