Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 6/10: Fighting Cock

Interesting. I'd love to see what the old bottle looks like!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Connoisseur

this use to be a college favorite of mine. Price was good, plenty of flavor, stood up well to mixing, and was always on stock.

While my tastes have changed since then, along with the budget, it would be good to take a trip down memory lane.........

B

Connoisseur

To me Fighting Cock tastes like a slightly older Old Grand Dad BIB- and since I LOVE OGD BIB, I like the Fighting Cock quite a bit. I wonder how and why they arrived at 103 proof? Always thought that was a bit odd.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Connoisseur

I always thought it was to compete with Wild Turkey ... just a little higher proof.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I always thought it was to compete with Wild Turkey ... just a little higher proof.
    I'd be surprised if that wasn't it. Both Eagle Rare 101 and Fighting Cock, named after birds and over 100 proof, are were Wild Turkey competitors. Fighting Cock just turned it up to 11.

Connoisseur

Enoch,
    Assuming that you are in Columbia, SC , how in the world is it that "The store I bought it from had about five or six cases left"? Even during their losing seasons, the Gamecocks played in a full stadium and many fans consoled themselves with another pour of FC.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Virtuoso

I haven't picked up any FC103 yet but I did see case of it the other day. The outside of the case says, "Warning! Fighting Cock Inside!"
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    Enoch,
    Assuming that you are in Columbia, SC , how in the world is it that "The store I bought it from had about five or six cases left"? Even during their losing seasons, the Gamecocks played in a full stadium and many fans consoled themselves with another pour of FC.
    Actually this store is not in Columbia and not on Google. They don't have any new FC only the old stuff. I've bought about a doz bottles and traded some of that away. I have to be careful buying from this store. If I buy too much at once I think he thinks he's getting cheated and it will be off the shelf the next time I go there. It's not in an area many Gamecock fans will go.
    Last edited by Enoch; 11-20-2011 at 11:09.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Actually this store is not in Columbia and not on Google. They don't have any new FC only the old stuff. I've bought about a doz bottles and traded some of that away. I have to be careful buying from this store. If I buy too much at once I think he thinks he's getting cheated and it will be off the shelf the next time I go there. It's not in an area many Gamecock fans will go.
    Even better! FC dusties and plenty of them. Ya done good, boy!
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Virtuoso

I picked up a Fighting Cock 7/103 a few months ago while dusty hunting in Kaufman, TX.

It was a very strange store. The front door was locked with a doorbell. The bell rang across the street at a small convenience store owned by a funny Paki guy. This guy walks out, comes and asks me what I'm looking for and I give him the collector spiel. He takes me inside and the store is separated by a wall with a window and all the liquor behind it. He takes me to the back and I start digging through mountains of disgustingly dusty shelves in a 15x15 room. I see all kinds of liqueurs from 60's and 70's... even some old school Bacardi I had never heard of. Among all the trash was 3 half pints of FC 7/103 with red tax strips. No barcode or Gov't warning on the back at all.

I picked them all up and walked back across the street to the convenience store to pay. The guy starts to tell me the story of how he acquired the liquor in the first place. Apparently it was originally owned by a competitor. That competitor died and his widow wanted to get rid of the store so my Paki friend bought it for a steal. Then he says "I guess you could say I really killed my competition!"

We had a good, morbid laugh.

At any rate, the FC I have is amazing. Truly an old school flavor to it that I don't sense in any current offerings. Shame I only have 1 half pint left...