Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: BOTM 6/10: Fighting Cock

I live in Columbia, SC ...home of the USC Fighting Gamecocks and I can tell you it cannot be kept in stock during football season. I drink it while watching USC football games in a glass I picked up at Heaven Hills. My daughter wears a Fighting Cock bandanna that was a promo with a bottle last year. So it does quit well here. I tried it along side Baker's last night and was amazed at the similarity. Not my favorite but a decent drink with a group watching football.

Virtuoso

Of all the bourbons I have had, this one benefits the most from the slightest splash of water. Not to take the proof down, but to tease the flavors out. Straight it seems a bit lacking in flavor for a 103/6yr pour.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Enthusiast

If anyone knows where I can find this in CT, let me know. Not having any luck so far.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg73 View Post
    If anyone knows where I can find this in CT, let me know. Not having any luck so far.
    The only bottle of this I ever got was in CT . . . I can't for the life of me remember where, though . . . somewhere north of Waterbury, I think, but I'm only guessing. I know I ate at a great little pizza joint in the same plaza.

"A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Guru

I've had some great tasting bottles of FC and a few that were just okay but nothing to write home about. I agree with the suggestion to add just the tiniest splash of water to bring some flavors out. While difficult to find in my neck of the woods, I always have a bottle on hand when football season comes around. They seem to go hand-in-hand, along with a few cold beers.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    I've only had one bottle of FC in my time, but I enjoyed it quite a bit, and to reiterate, especially for the $16 I paid.

I can't get it around here or I'd probably have some around -- I liken it to OGD 114 without the wood.
    Not having tried FC I was thinking to myself, it sounds like my experience w OGD. Now I have a frame of reference....a somewhat in your face old fashioned bourbon (what I used to associate with bourbon taste wise) that can grow on you.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    a somewhat in your face old fashioned bourbon (what I used to associate with bourbon taste wise) that can grow on you.
    In my ubernewbie days, I used to describe to my girl how I really liked the liquor that kicked you in the face. Which led me to bourbon, which led me to OGD114, which led me to Stagg/WLW/(any other 120+ proof whiskey).

I'll take a crane kick from Ralph Macchio, to the face, any day.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    As Mark Twain might have put it, there are three kinds of lies -- lies, damned lies and global warming science. - Melanie Phillips - The Spectator UK
    Per My Girlfriend, there are three kinds of lies -- lies, damned lies and Religion.

Advanced Taster

I've always been curious about this juice...guess I'm going to have to pick up a bottle for an outdoor/camping overnight gig coming up...

TP
    --
    in aqua vitae veritas
    Todd in Cheesecurdistan
    www.blueolives.com
    www.chicagopitbulls.org

Disciple

I've been looking for a bottle since this thread started. Evidently, it's not widely available where I am. I think I've seen it in Delaware before. Looks like I'll be taking a trip up there REAL SOON.