Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Taster

If you were going to KY, what would you "have" to buy?

If you were going to KY, what are your "must have's"? Things not available in your home state (Michigan in my case), or anywhere else for that matter. Room will be an issue, so I'm thinking 6-12 bottles. I will be staying in Georgetown, so any recommendations on where to buy are welcome as well.

Guru

Re: If you were going to KY, what would you "have" to buy?

I better get this in quick before the site crashes again...

I would recommend you stop at Party Source in Newport/Bellvue and at the Liquor Barn in Lexington.

What I like to do the most of in KY when I go down is stock up on stuff. I will get 1.75 ltr bottles of stuff that I can't get in that size or at all up here such as the following:

4 Roses Yellow Label
    Old Forester Signature
    VOB Bottled in Bond
    Old Fitz Bottled in Bond
    Ancient Ancient Age 10 y/o

I also try to get at least one bottle of Rittenhouse Rye and Mellow Corn, both bottled in bond. The Willet in the potstill "I Dream of Jeanie" bottle is a good choice too, as is Kentucky Vintage. If you can find any Virginia Gentleman 90 proof, I'd pick that up too. It's out of production and a good summertime pour that makes good juleps and manhattans. Also look for some of the HH brands that we don't get up here, like the white label 6 y/o HH or JTS Brown bonds.

If you make it to Party Source, be sure to pick up a Willet or two. Try one of their 13 y/o ones and/or the 3 y/o, if you like young 'uns. Also look for special releases that we don't get, like 4R Mariage.

Hope that wasn't too rambling and incoherent!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

I would agree with Josh's recommendation of AAA 10yr, but would go for the Party Source's single barrel version.
    Last edited by funknik; 05-19-2010 at 06:29.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

I would add to that list a 1.75l of Old Bourbon Hollow for about $23. This is a Jim Beam product, 100 proof BIB, and I think only available in KY.

Advanced Taster

I have only been to KY once and we stopped at the Beam Distillery for their "tour" and I can tell you not to buy any thing there. They wanted about $23 for JBW.

Anyways here is the partial list of Bourbons and other Whiskys that are on the Michigan Liquor Control list. I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with what we can get here so you can compare it to what they have. Besides I would imagine anything you get there would be less $.

http://www.michigan.gov/dleg/0,1607,...087---,00.html
    Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough. - Mark Twain.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    I would agree with Josh's recommendation of AAA 10yr, but would go for the Party Source's single barrel version.
    Absolutely. Great stuff. I bought a bottle of it back in April and it is very very good.

Quote Originally Posted by harshest View Post
    I have only been to KY once and we stopped at the Beam Distillery for their "tour" and I can tell you not to buy any thing there. They wanted about $23 for JBW.

Anyways here is the partial list of Bourbons and other Whiskys that are on the Michigan Liquor Control list. I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with what we can get here so you can compare it to what they have. Besides I would imagine anything you get there would be less $.

http://www.michigan.gov/dleg/0,1607,...087---,00.html
    Be sure to check the supplemental lists too, those come out once or twice a month.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

You can do what I did on my last trip to KY and print out the Michigan bourbon list and compare what's available here and there and the prices. Sometimes it's not cheaper in KY, but certainly the variety, at least at the stores mentioned, is greater.
    Amy

Disciple

Party source still had some Virginia Gentleman 90 when I visited in April. They also had some 1L bottles Of Weller Antique 107 with the 7yr. age statement. I would only buy stuff I couldn't get at home and in as big a bottle as I could get/afford!

Thomas

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    If you were going to KY, what are your "must have's"?
    Oh well, whatever, nevernind.
    The previous selections are OK first timers.
    ovh

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Oh well, whatever, nevermind.
    Dipping into your 1990s CD collection, O?

ello ello ello ello hello-oh
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog