Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

World of Whiskey in Heathrow Terminal 4...any neat stuff to get?

Simple question...I've got a flight back home through LHR and I noticed that they have a World Of Whiskey duty free store in Terminal 4 where I'll be departing from.

Has anyone been through this store recently and if so were there any interesting bottles or offerings you would suggest picking up? Thanks in advance for the help.

The Voshole

Re: World of Whiskey in Heathrow Terminal 4...any neat stuff to get?

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but since I'll be going through Heathrow the end of July I'm very interested in your post.
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Last time my sister past through there (a few years back) I called them and she ended up getting me a Wild Turkey Sherry Signature. From memory I think it was about 30 pounds.

I know they have a huge range of scotches, bourbons were limited, back then anyways.

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Disciple

Was through there in Jan. If you want something it's gonna be a scotch. The only one that stuck out was a ltd. Dalmore but there is plenty to choose from.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

The Voshole

Timing is everything. I received my Summer 2010 issue of Malt Advocate today and they have an article titled "Flying Home with Whisky". It's a nicely done story, very concise yet covers a lot of topics related to buying whisk(e)y (mainly Scotch) at various airports around the world.

World of Whiskies is talked about and that they currently have eight stores in the UK, three of them at Heathrow. Regarding your post, it tells us that WoW now has a web site that allows you to see what they stock, their prices and an available pre-order service. Check out www.worldofwhiskies.com.

I went to the site, and as for American products there's not much variety. They have various JD's, JB white and black, MM and WR. I'll still have to stop in when I'm at Heathrow, but I'm not counting on finding anything to bring home. Besides, as the article states, transporting liquids isn't as easy as it used to be.

Gary
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Apprentice

When I was there in '08, they only had the 'standard' bourbons. They did, on the other hand, have a bottle of Glenfiddich for 7000 pounds. Wonder what the tastes like?

Quote Originally Posted by threejean View Post
    When I was there in '08, they only had the 'standard' bourbons. They did, on the other hand, have a bottle of Glenfiddich for 7000 pounds. Wonder what the tastes like?
    For 7000 Pounds it better do things to you that your wife won't and most of us only dream of.

2 weeks until I leave so I'll post back then anything interesting that they have and whatever I buy.

On a somewhat related note...anybody know of any stores with interesting finds to check in London proper? I'm out in Reading now but will be spending a couple fo days right in the city off of Holborn.

Disciple

Check out the Whisky Exchange. You can get an idea of what they carry buy checking out their website!

Thomas

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I'm stretching the memory a bit (it was in 2004), but I had some good finds at Royal Mile Whiskies. We were staying on Pickadilly and it was a 10 minute stroll away. A quick check of their web site shows Blantons Gold and Evan Williams 23yo

www.royalmilewhiskies.com

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Vosgar View Post
    Timing is everything. I received my Summer 2010 issue of Malt Advocate today and they have an article titled "Flying Home with Whisky". It's a nicely done story, very concise yet covers a lot of topics related to buying whisk(e)y (mainly Scotch) at various airports around the world.
    That was a nice piece and it is available at MA - this link should
    work but if not, check the online edition link via MA home page.

John Q.