Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie here-- need suggestions for a gift!!

Hello,
    I hope someone here can assist me. I have to purchase a gift for a Bourbon lover. The recipient of this gift is a 60 year old man originally from Kentucky. I know he loves bourbon and he likes the "good" stuff and he can afford it. So if I get him a bottle it has to be something impressive or unique.

Do any of you have any suggestions about a type of bourbon I can perhaps get online. I don't think he goes online, but shops at local stores. If there is something unique out there that is not readily available in stores and under $200 I'd love to hear about it. Thanks for your help. I'm new to the world of bourbon, so any advice would be appreciated.
    Socal

Irreverent One

Re: Newbie here-- need suggestions for a gift!!

If "socal" means southern California then there should be no legal obstacles preventing you from ordering from K&L.

Any of these would probably do:

Four Roses Mariage Collection Bourbon $84.99
    Parker's Heritage Collection Second Edition 27 year Bourbon $199.99
    Parker's Heritage Collection Golden Annivesary Bourbon $139.99
    1991 Jefferson's Reserve Presidential Select 18 Year Old Single Barrel "K&L Exclusive" 17 year Batch A Bourbon $89.99

If it were me (as the receipient, that is) I'd probably be happiest with the first one...which also happens to be the least expensive (but then, I'm a cheap date).
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Disciple

Scott's suggestions are excellent -- the only addition I'd make is:

Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year Old $99-109
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by StraightBoston View Post
    Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year Old $99-109
    Not currently listed at K&L (although it has been in the past), but, yeah, if you can find that one it would be a great choice too.

I note that K&L is listing a "new release" of BMH 16yo, for $125.99
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Virtuoso

Wild Turkey Tradition would also be a good gift IMO.

Maybe you could check the Party Source for one of their special bottlings. They have many to offer. I hear their Willett's is quite good. They ship to a lot of states too. http://www.thepartysource.com/ Good luck. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Why thank you kindly for your suggestions. And yes I live in Southern California, so I'm glad that won't be an obstacle.

Thanks all!! I will still be lingering on the boards because my husband love bourbon (hates scotch ) and I'm sure we can get good tips from you all!!

Thanks again.
    Cindy
    Last edited by socal; 06-30-2010 at 16:27.

Virtuoso

This may sound ridiculous, but if you have any idea of what the recipient's "go-to" every day bourbon is (or which ones he seems to prefer) we may be able to narrow down the selection more for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Hi,
    I don't know him well, but I know he's from Kentucky. I know he likes a very high proof bourbon and usually spends about 100 dollars at the local BevMo or
    or Bristol Farms. He's got money, but I only know this was his normal price range. I don't think he shops online though so I'm hoping for something different. Do you think the Four Roses would be high proof enough for someone who likes strong bourbon?? Thanks!!

The Four Roses Mariage 09 is 109.6 proof and is very good. The Parker Heritage Collection 2nd edition 27 year old I believe is 120 something proof and is an outstanding bourbon but very pricey as you can see. Everything that has been recommended would be a good choice.

By the way welcome to the site I hope you and your husband enjoy yourselves here.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.