Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: new to bourbon

Novice

new to bourbon

I've only recently started drinking bourbon, I had some at a friends and really enjoyed it. However, I don't know the first thing about it.

So, I was wondering, what is bourbon, what makes it different than Whiskey/Scotch?

What are some good relatively cheap brands of Bourbon for me to start trying on my own?

Virtuoso

Re: new to bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by exthalion View Post
    I've only recently started drinking bourbon, I had some at a friends and really enjoyed it. However, I don't know the first thing about it.

So, I was wondering, what is bourbon, what makes it different than Whiskey/Scotch?

What are some good relatively cheap brands of Bourbon for me to start trying on my own?
    Welcome to the site! There is definitely a lot of information here to assimilate and picking through threads for what you're looking for can be difficult (especially if you're not used to forms or the way v-bulletin is set up!).

To answer your question: Whiskey is the name of the family of spirits distilled from grain and aged in wood. Bourbon is a spirit distilled from a mash of no less than 51% corn, and aged in new charred oak barrels. It's distinct from scotch because it must be aged in new charred barrels, it must be made in America, and the mash isn't malted-barley dominant. There's more to it than that, but I'll give you the spirit of the definition for now.

Relatively cheap brands of bourbon for you to start trying on your own? I don't know where to start. Many of us would probably recommend Evan Williams, Old Grand-dad, Wild Turkey, or possibly Jim Beam Black (among many, many others).

Here is a link to a thread in which members discuss some cheap recommendations.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...=Cheap+bourbon

there are other threads out there with recommendations, but that one is as good as any. Do some reading and have fun! I wish you luck in finding a bourbon that you particularly appreciate.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Welcome aboard, A bourbon virgin so too speak your world about to get opened up and enlightened. We'll teach you everything you ever wanted now about whiskey. The down side is you're going to be buying a bunch of whiskey in your immediate future. Come join us in chat it's the gazebo on the top of the main forum page.

Paul
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Bourbon and scotch are types of whiskey. The big differences in how they are made are the grains used and the barrels. The scotch industry is much bigger than the bourbon industry so there are many more products and a wider range of flavors.

It's a simple question asked all the time but I've never felt there is a satisfactory easy answer to it. Each is the way it is due to a range of historical, legal, political, and technical occurences that took place over hundreds of years.

Read this post for bourbons for beginners http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ead.php?t=8142

I recommend Wild Turkey 101 for a rye bourbon and Old Weller Antique 107 for a wheater.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Hello and welcome to SB. Glad to have you. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if you filled out your profile with a little more information, we could give you a more appropriate welcome. In case you couldn't tell, we like to have a little fun too. This is a great place to learn about bourbon, meet some good folks, and have a good time in the process. Again, welcome, and enjoy. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Novice

hmm. I'll fill out my profile a bit more.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Also, kinda confused about the wild turkey. I'm in a fraternity and we have wild turkey occasionally and, to be honest, it tastes like shit. Can barely get it down. Are there many types of wild turkey and we're just getting the cheapest kind we can find?

Guru

hmm. I'll fill out my profile a bit more.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Also, kinda confused about the wild turkey. I'm in a fraternity and we have wild turkey occasionally and, to be honest, it tastes like shit. Can barely get it down. Are there many types of wild turkey and we're just getting the cheapest kind we can find?
    Wild Turkey comes in a variety of expressions. The 101 proof is a little bit older whiskey than the 80 proof, so if you're drinking the 80 that might be it. If you go overseas or to Canada or Mexico check the duty free shops for Wild Turkey 8 y/o. It's a very tasty product.

My favorite is Wild Turkey Rare Breed. It is (to my palate anyway) more mature than the 101, and overall better quality. For a barrel proof whiskey, it's affordable. I've had it from a variety of years and I've never been disappointed.

They also make a single barrel WT called Kentucky Spirit. These vary from year to year. The pewter top ones from the 1990s are considered to be the best, but the ones with the smooth dark wood tops are very good too. The current ones with the light wood tops are hit or miss, frankly.

If you don't like those, then you probably just don't like Wild Turkey. Which is fine.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Taster

Welcome. From one relative newb to another I would recommend...

Ancient Ancient Age 10 year old (not 10 star, big difference)
    Old Grand Dad BIB
    Very Old Barton BIB (although non BIB is pretty good too)
    Four Roses yellow label
    Old Forester

These are all less than $20 here in Michigan I believe, and I like them all. Now if you want to spend a little more, I would recommend...

OGD 114
    Old Weller Antique
    WL Weller Special Reserve

I think someone mentioned before, buy several and try them all. You will be amazed at the differences, and how they change with time. I know it's been fun for me so far.

Guru

I hope you're not married and you have a pile of discretionary income.

“Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog