Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie from GB

Advanced Taster

Newbie from GB

Morning chaps!

My name is Mark and i am a big fan of all things whiskey! I have a modest collection so far but am always keen to expand it and try new things, We have a very limited range available over here but are able to get hold of a certain few bottles via online retailers. I would be interested to here from other UK members to find out where they purchase their bottles from.

Here is a photo of my cupboard which the mrs is annoyed about as her books used to be on this shelf!

Hope to have many a fine chat with you all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Virtuoso

Re: Newbie from GB

Welcome to the Forum. Looking forward to hearing what you find and your impressions on the Bourbons you can find.

Are you any relation to the motorcycle racer Michael Rutter? His dad went pretty well at the Isle Of Mann in his day so I hear :-)

Advanced Taster

I'd like to say I were but sadly not, I'd love to be half as quick as he were my wobbly antics on a 125 the other week have shown me that family name does not equal biking talent, still good fun though!

I'm on the lookout for more bourbons all the time, I can get hold of loads of whisky but i prefer bourbon so have to hunt much harder and usually online.
    The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable, we had to add whiskey. By diligent effort, I learned to like it.
    -- Winston Churchill

Guru

Welcome Mark! Just off the top of my head, I can't think of any very active UK members here, but I'm sure we do have some.

How much of a nerd am I? When I saw the name Rutter, I instantly thought of composer John Rutter who is one of the wife's favorites.

At any rate, Mark, out of the bourbons you can get, which ones are your favorites?
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

I'm still yet to try a few bottles from my collection, but I am a fan of WT 101 8yr, looking forward to trying the WT 101 Rye that arrived this week and my mum brought me back a couple of bottles of RR90 10yr from a recent trip that went down well last weekend.

The only whiskies we can pick up in supermarkets here ar JBW, JBB, MM, BT and WR we have a few speciality shops and when I head into London later in the month I will pop in to one and see if they have anything special in.

Most of the imported bottles have a really high premium I guess due to having to pay tax twice, once on either side of the pond!

Thanks for the warm welcome and if anyone has trouble finding any malts I'll gladly see what i can find over here if you know what i mean...
    The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable, we had to add whiskey. By diligent effort, I learned to like it.
    -- Winston Churchill

Hi Mark welcome to the site, I see your making your way around. We had a new member sign up from the UK not that long ago maybe a couple of months ago. Look back through the New members thread here and you should be able to find him and shoot him off a PM. You'll enjoy this site gets lots of traffic and lots of post. We have chat but it will probably be hard for you to meet up with anyone because of the time difference but keep your eyes peeled you never know it says on the main forum page who's in chat. Actually I think I just missed you there this morning. Have fun and make some new friends.

Paul
    Last edited by p_elliott; 06-10-2010 at 07:58.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Rutter View Post
    Here is a photo of my cupboard which the mrs is annoyed about as her books used to be on this shelf!
    Bourbon over books, my kind of man.

Where abouts in GB are you from? I have friends that live just outside of Manchester.
    Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough. - Mark Twain.

Advanced Taster

I live in Milton Keynes, its around 40 miles north of london and more roundabouts than the rest of the world combined (probably). I have friends in knutsford which is just outside manchester.
    -- Winston Churchill

Guru

Hey Rutter, what do you think of the Dickel red label and how did you get it?
    Oh, welcome aboard.
    ovh

Virtuoso

Welcome to the forum! I also enjoy Wild Turkey 8 year old export, but I bet I have a harder time finding it than you do!
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.