Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie from GB

Advanced Taster

Re: Newbie from GB

Not opened the Dickel red yet, but i've not tried their other expressions so maybe i'm not the best to comment! really looking forward to opening a few new bottles tonight and having a few big glasses!
    The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable, we had to add whiskey. By diligent effort, I learned to like it.
    -- Winston Churchill

Welcome to SB Mark. Your modest collection looks okay to me. We all had to start somewhere. I started with three bottles. I'm not gonna say how many I have now. Looking forward to your posts. Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Hey Rutter, what do you think of the Dickel red label and how did you get it?
    Oh, welcome aboard.
    Opened the Dickel Red last night and was underwhelmed, it lacked in most areas, it was sweet and hot at first but lacking any depth or finish, I paid the best part of 35 for it as it came recomended from the whiskey exchange I didn't have a side by side comparisson but when i can get almost any other mid shelf whiskey for that price or less i'm a bit disappointed!

Oh well I have you lovely folks to help guide my future purchases
    The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable, we had to add whiskey. By diligent effort, I learned to like it.
    -- Winston Churchill

Virtuoso

Rutter, can you find the Wild Turkey 12 year export where you are?
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    Rutter, can you find the Wild Turkey 12 year export where you are?
    I have had a bottle in the past, not seen any when i've looked recently but will keep my eyes open for some, but i remember it being around the 30 mark so you can understand my frustration with the Dickel!
    -- Winston Churchill

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Rutter View Post
    I have had a bottle in the past, not seen any when i've looked recently but will keep my eyes open for some, but i remember it being around the 30 mark so you can understand my frustration with the Dickel!
    In the U.S. there are 4 Dickel products available. The one you got, Cascade Hollow, is the cheapest (about $17 here) and youngest. The others are the No. 8, the No. 12, and the Barrel Select. I like them all, but not everybody likes the No. 8.

Anyway, if you haven't soured on Dickel entirely, try the No. 12 or the Barrel Select if you can get them.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    In the U.S. there are 4 Dickel products available. The one you got, Cascade Hollow, is the cheapest (about $17 here) and youngest. The others are the No. 8, the No. 12, and the Barrel Select. I like them all, but not everybody likes the No. 8.

Anyway, if you haven't soured on Dickel entirely, try the No. 12 or the Barrel Select if you can get them.
    I had this conversation with Erik this morning, Barrel select is available but sells for around 60 I'm sure i can get a much better product for that kind of cash!

To make things worse I took cascade hollow on a recomendation, i could have had 12 for the same price!
    -- Winston Churchill

Advanced Taster

Rutter,

Welcome on board! If you were to offer me a pour of anything in your cupboard, I'd probably ask for a shot of Buffalo Trace. What do you think of it?

Cheers!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by marco246 View Post
    Rutter,

Welcome on board! If you were to offer me a pour of anything in your cupboard, I'd probably ask for a shot of Buffalo Trace. What do you think of it?

Cheers!
    Let me pour myself a glass now and i'll let you know! Last time i had it i don't remember being blown away by it though.
    -- Winston Churchill

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Rutter View Post
    I had this conversation with Erik this morning, Barrel select is available but sells for around 60 I'm sure i can get a much better product for that kind of cash!

To make things worse I took cascade hollow on a recomendation, i could have had 12 for the same price!
    I really enjoy Dickel Barrel Select, but no way in hell is it worth 60. Good choice. Stick with guys like Erik and you'll not go wrong.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog