Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hybrid View

Advanced Taster

Malt Advocate, Inc. joins M. Shanken Communications

Guys, I thought I would let you know that our company, Malt Advocate, Inc. (Malt Advocate magazine, and our three WhiskyFests), has joined the M. Shanken Communications group (Wine Spectator, Cigar Aficionado, Market Watch, etc.) More details here. I know that many of you are subscribers (or attend one of our WhiskyFests), so I thought I would tell you.

Why did we do it? We weren't looking to sell. Our company is strong, and we enjoy our independence. But, we were approached by the Marvin Shanken and his group. We realized that our business dovetails perfectly with theirs. The synergies between our two companies were too good to not do it. Plus, I have great respect for M. Shanken's publications and events.

For those of you concerned, there will be very few changes. I will still be Publisher & Editor, and we will be largely independent of the rest of the company in our activities.

What WILL change is that our circulation will go up. More people will get to read Malt Advocate. We are very proud of the magazine, so this makes us very happy.

I'm posting here just to field any questions you might have. Cheers!
    Publisher and Editor of Whisky Advocate magazine.

Guru

Re: Malt Advocate, Inc. joins M. Shanken Communications

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHansell View Post
    For those of you concerned, there will be very few changes. I will still be Publisher & Editor, and we will be largely independent of the rest of the company in our activities.
    John - Congrats. As a subscriber to MA, I enjoy the publication very much (just wish it was more frequent). My initial reaction to this news was "uh oh" but I trust your comment above will stay true and in some way this merger will enrich MA for the better.
    Last edited by ggilbertva; 06-18-2010 at 09:33.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Virtuoso

Congrats John. I was a bit worried when I first heard, as I'm not a huge fan of Wine Spectator, but it sounds like you've made sure that you will maintain editorial control, so that should all work out well.

Do you have any big ideas you've been holding back on for lack of resources that you will now be able to move on?

Connoisseur

Great move John. Your publication is a must read for the whisk(e)y enthusiast.
    Dave G.

Virtuoso

I will remain optomistic but as a current MA subscriber and a past CA and WS subscriber I suspect things will change as the pressure for more ad revenue and overall profitability comes down in the future. Regardless of titles and on paper responsibility control rests with the owner. IMO few true cigar and wine enthusiasts find the product evaluations provided by CA and the WS of any value... lets hope the MA can hang in there providing reviews with some sound basis.... at least until my subscription runs out...LOL!!!!

JMO....that's all
    Last edited by cigarnv; 06-18-2010 at 12:40.
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Advanced Taster

First, let me thank you for your kind words. Some of you have requested that we come out more often (6x/yr., perhaps). With this merger, this could be a possibility, which is good news. Ditto an additional WhiskyFest event, which is also good. Plus, I expect our circulation to go up very soon--another good thing for those who haven't seen Malt Advocate yet.

I don't think that the advertising concern is an issue at all. The whiskey industry already knows that I call them as I see them. That will not change. And I discussed it on more than one occassion with Marvin Shanken, and he agrees.

Enthusiast

Best wishes, John. Keep up the good work.
    Here's to us, who's like us?
    Damned few and they're all dead

Connoisseur

Better circulation, the possibility of more issues and events, editorial independence, what's not to like here.

The brown spirits are lifted
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Dramiel McHinson View Post
    Better circulation, the possibility of more issues and events, editorial independence, what's not to like here.

The brown spirits are lifted
    That's the plan. It seems to be all good.