Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: To Begin Smoking Pipe Tobacco

Not really, stronger English or Balkin may be considered cigar like, however you can buy pipe tobacco blended especially for cigar smokers and some include cigar leaf.

Disciple

I stated with Prince Albert last night, on the assumption that PA is to pipe smoking what Jim Beam is to bourbon drinking. It might be toward the bottom end of the quality spectrum, but it's available, inexpensive, and undoubtedly a "real" pipe experience, ie not a gimmik flavor.

I got what I was looking for, a decent taste similar to a cheap cigar, but a good ten minute smoke with a glass of bourbon instead of a forty minute investment. I think I'll stick with the pipe, I just need to figure out how to upgrade the tobacco eventually.

Guru

Not a bad choice, these old traditional brands are still around for a reason.

Disciple

Out of curiousity to anyone who might know, but are those traditional brands essentially unchanged over the years?

Virtuoso

Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Captain Black, many of the really big brands that contain a high percentage of burley, may be relatively unchanged over the long run. I can't say for sure. What I can tell you is, that tobacco blends DO change. The greatest recent example of this was a massive warehouse fire that burned up nearly every existing ounce of Syrian Latakia, which was used in a good number of English blends. Those blends either went away, or they used Cyprian Latakia, which does not have the same flavor, instead. It has taken years but Syrian Latakia has started showing back up in quantity in some blends.

Pipe tobacco is actually amazingly similar to whiskey in some ways. Some sellers of tobacco are rectifiers of a sort (like KBD, VW, or HW), and outsource their blends to different companies who are sourcing the same tobacco, but in many cases, from different places. he blends change with time, and many smokers will go well out of their way to find an older dunhill blend or sobraine. Other blends, that use Perique, have also changed over the years as the way in which that tobacco is made, has changed.

Although Carter Hall and Prince Albert MAY be the same, I doubt that they are exactly the same. even burley has changed over the last 30 years, I'm sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Guru

To a great extent they are unchanged. The old Half and Half blend was created around 1910 and I was sitting in my office one afternoon smoking a bowl of it when an elderly friend dropped by. He said, "You're smoking Half and Half aren't you?" Yes, I said, "I thought so he replied, my Father smoked Half and Half". Bill was 83 when he made that comment.

I've been a pipe smoker for 20+ years. The codger blends (nickname used in the pipe smoking forum world) are great smokes. I keep tubs of Prince Albert, Carter Hall and Sugar Barrel at hand at all times.

When I'm in the mood for a heavier smoke, I reach for a latakia-forward blend. Cornell & Diehl's DaVinci comes to mind, but most any English will do.

Guru

Just cause we codgers walk slow doesn't mean we think slow.

Disciple

Thanks for the answers everyone. I really don't need another vice hobby, but this is very intriguing.

Taster

Just as the rising price of Single Malt back in 2008 got me to enter the world of Bourbon...(What happened? Good Bourbon is almost as expensive nowadays!!!!), I recently picked up a pipe to try and save an increasingly expensive taste in cigars.

I'm a Champagne guy with a beer budget, and that seems to apply to all my vices!

I just can't stand cheap cigars, nor most cheap whiskeys. So I went to my local smoke shop and picked up some pouches of pipe weed.

So far....

...I'm really liking Borkum Riff's Bourbon Whiskey pipe tobacco. Goes great with Bourbon! (Ya think?) I had a bowl of it last night while drinking some WT101 Rye. I found out that I actually like the taste of pipe tobacco with Bourbon, Rye, Scotch and tequila better than with cigars!

I also got a 5 lbs. bag of Ohm silver pipe tobacco (a Kentucky Burley) - which is really just RYO cigarette tobacco, cut wider to avoid cigarette tax rates...but it's still a decent tobacco smoke.

Here's the deal though, I also got a couple of oz. of Black Cavendish, which is great on it's own, but I think works better blending it with the Ohm RYO. The Ohm has more nicotine than the Black Cav, but mixing the too, I get the Cav taste with the Burley nic kick.

I have yet to try any of the english blends, but from what I heard (echoed in this thread), one shouldn't use it in a pipe other than one dedicated to only english tobacco as the flavoring will overpower aromatics.

I also picked up an oz. of CAO's cherry bomb...a vanilla/cherry flavored pipe weed. I like that one too, but to me, it's more like a dessert smoke rather than something I'd enjoy while drinking.

I dunno, I really like robust, strong cigars like Partagas, Padron and Casa Magna, but I'm finding the milder, sweet pipe tobaccos quite enjoyable.

I just bought a $25 Medico straight stem pipe to start with. I'll have to wait until my next pay day to grab another pipe and give those english blends a tryout.
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am...